TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

control freak suspension?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isaaccstll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: control freak suspension?
    Posted: Mar/06/2014 at 12:19am
Does anyone out there have the Freak Ride triangulated 4 link rear suspension on a 71-74 javelin? I'm seriously considering it. How does it attach to the car? Is it bolt on or is there welding involved? Is it specific to the amc rear axle or would it still work if i swapped mine out for a Ford 9"?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2014 at 9:23am
I've got the triangulated 4 link under my 67 American. Definitely NOT a bolt in. There are brackets that weld to the frame rails just behind the forward spring mounts to hold the control arms and brackets that weld to the frame above the axle for the coil-over shocks. You also need to weld the brackets to the axle tubes. The axle brackets actually come cut to the diameter of a Ford 9" (3" diameter tubes) and a spacer for the 2.75" AMC tubes.

Excellent kit, can't wait to get mine on the street for it's first drive some time this summer.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Mar/06/2014 at 9:33am
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
isaaccstll View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isaaccstll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2014 at 9:39am
Thanks Bob! So it's definitely not specific to the rear end since it has to be welded on anyways? I needed to know because i have no welding equipment so if that's the case then i would need to pay to have it installed. And i want to swap out my rear end for a Ford 9" not only because it's stronger, but also it would give me more rear brake options.

Isaac Castillo
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 9:07pm
Hope you get a chance to post some pic's, saw it in SC and was impressed by the quality.

Thanks,
Doug
GnipGnop4 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 3:32pm
Here are some pictures of the CF Triangulated 4-link installed in my 69 AMX. There are other posts on this subject and more pictures including CF front IFS. My build thread has more of the front IFS pictures.

Brackets welded onto stock AMC-20. Housing requires pre and post straightening.

setting up ride height

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 4:05pm
Curious if it would be simpler to use an AMC20 housing from e.g. a Matador that already has a triangulated 4-link suspension?

If you need to do a bunch of welding/straightening on the stock leaf-spring housing and looking for different brakes or bigger bearings, maybe just weld-on Ford housing ends and get new one-piece axles to suit?
GnipGnop4 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 4:48pm
No doubt, there are many ways to skin that cat. For our project we wanted to modify our AMC-20. Regardless of the rear end you choose, you have to weld in the upper shock mounts to the frame rail, and brackets for upper and lower trailing arms. Since we're talking about installing a performance rear end into a 45 year old unibody, being able to tack everything up, check the travel for binding (notorious on 4-links) was a benefit. I know that the setup is geometrically true to my particular chassis. For others who don't really care too much about the digits after the decimal point, then the Matador rear end option might be just fine and involve lower numbers to the right of the dollar sign.

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 5:03pm
Hey Robert
That looks real nice! I can't see them in your pictures, but how are the upper coilovers mounted and reinforced on that setup?

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
GnipGnop4 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 5:24pm
Dennis! I was afraid you were going to ask...I don't have a picture on my phone of those brackets. It's a triangular wedge that fits in the frame contour. CF really did a nice job on the brackets. We hope to run at Willow Springs in April. You need to be there with us.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic