TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Contour Electric Fan Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2020 at 6:42am
It won't hurt for it to touch the core though. I had my Taurus fan mounted to the radiator with universal through-the-core zip tie like mounts. They are made for aftermarket fans. I cut the shroud down a bit so it would fit flat against the radiator and drilled 1/8" holes for the mount ties to go through since cutting it down eliminated the mounting table on one side. I used the same type mounts to put the Contour fans on my three core radiator.

Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 12:55pm
Can the same temp sensor be used in the Eddy intake or is there an alternative sensor that can be used here instead of the water neck position? Thanks.

Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 1:16pm
When I swapped to the Airgap I moved the sensor to the coolant crossover like you are thinking there, so assuming Edelbrock used the same threading for both manifolds it should fit.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

When I swapped to the Airgap I moved the sensor to the coolant crossover like you are thinking there, so assuming Edelbrock used the same threading for both manifolds it should fit.

Sorry Greyhound! I wasn't notified of a reply. I must have forgotten to check the Notify me of Replies box.

We're going to locate the sensor in the intake manifold tomorrow.

That looks great. I also did something similar for fuel line but I used an Eddy carb.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 12:53pm
Greyhound... The Edelbrock Performer intake port does not fit the sensor. 

Anyone have any advice as what to do? We are ready to run the engine but can't because the sensor won't turn the fans and this leaves us temporarily dead in the water. Let me know when you can. Thank you. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 1:40pm
If the sensor is smaller, a stepdown adapter for sensor can be used. I see a few sensors on line with a brass adapter plug, to oversize the size of the sensor to fit small or large holes. It's usually seen in universal sensor kits.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

If the sensor is smaller, a stepdown adapter for sensor can be used. I see a few sensors on line with a brass adapter plug, to oversize the size of the sensor to fit small or large holes. It's usually seen in universal sensor kits.

Ok. I'll check with an auto parts store near me for a step down adapter tomorrow. 

Also 304-dude... Do you have a way of adding a manual override switch for this system? Thank you.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Ok. I'll check with an auto parts store near me for a step down adapter tomorrow. 

Also 304-dude... Do you have a way of adding a manual override switch for this system? Thank you.

The easiest way is to run an extended length of wire from the sensor to a switch. So when flipped, it will bypass the sensor by jumpering directly to ground, which will kick in the fan relay, manually. You could be elaborate and use a three position switch. Center automatic, Up manual on, Down fans off. Reason for the all off, is if relay or sensor switch fails or sticks in an active connection to ground. It's not common, but it can happen. Will save your battery when parking extended time. Usually when parking the fans will stay on until the sensor or timed circuit will shut off.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Greyhound... The Edelbrock Performer intake port does not fit the sensor. 

Anyone have any advice as what to do? We are ready to run the engine but can't because the sensor won't turn the fans and this leaves us temporarily dead in the water. Let me know when you can. Thank you. 

I think then you'll need to do it the way I used to have it, with the sensor mounted on the water neck. If you go to the first page of this thread toward the bottom you can see how I used a later model water neck and made a bushing to adapt the sensor to fit it.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 5:25pm
I'm sorry - I think misunderstood your problem. The sensor wouldn't be a direct fit into the Edelbrock manifold as I'm sure it would use some sort of NPT thread and the sensor is metric M14x1.5. So you'd need an adapter of some sort like the bushing I made on the first page of the thread.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic