TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Connection Rod - 401 Stroker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turvlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connection Rod - 401 Stroker
    Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 6:13am
Hi everyone

I've started on my 401 block, 3.900 stroke, 2"mains stroker project. What I have is SCAT H-beam rods pn 2-350-6125-2000. Crank is standard AMC width for the rods.
Scat GM rods have approx. .040 beam offset.

I've done a mockup with the SCAT rod fitted on the crank in order to measure the relative position for the smal end of the rod in respect to the bore. I did it with the crank pushed towards the rear of the block (.010 crank end play).

Cylinder 1,3,5 and 7 have a average of .080 offset towards the back of the block (away from the crank cheek). Cylinder 2,4,6 and 8 have a average of .135 towards the front of the block (away from the crank cheek).

I've read about chamfer the other side and turn the rods around plus removing some material on the "new" side that goes towards the crank cheek. 

How centered are the original rods in a AMC 401 block?
What is the feeling of how close to center is OK, and how much off center is not so good for a 430 cui  7000rpm engine.
Any suggestions on how you would install these rods?
How do I solve the width of the bearing? Sand down to correct width? Fine sandpaper on a piece of glass. Figure of 8?

Rune,
Norway

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 6:08pm

I've done a number of AMC strokers, I currently run a stroke of 3.925". I assume when you said 2" mains you mean 2" rod pins. With you're current selection of rods you'll be fighting an additional problem beyond centering the rods on the wrist pins. With that long of a stroke in an AMC block with a 3.900 stroke you'll have a very short piston pin height with a 6.125 length rod.

The way I did mine was to use Carrillo 6" rods for 2" journals that were designed for Chevy LS engines with centered beams (no bearing offset). By using a 6" rod it required a piston with a 1.240 compression height. With a 3.900 stroke and a 6.125 rod length the piston pin height would be reduced to 1.1275". That's too short and won't allow room to correctly fit you're ring pack even with the narrowest rings. Sacrificing ring seal will more than offset the benefit of the additional displacement.

To center the LS style rods I had .010 removed from the crank side of the rods and used the off shelf narrow bearings designed to clear large radius cranks. By my using .047 compression rings the oil ring still intersected the pin bores and required using ring supports. There is a Ford rod that can be used, If you want to know the details I will provide them.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Nov/07/2014 at 6:19pm
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 7:51pm
As i remember (I am not at the shop and can not verify this) AMC rods
have a CL of .930~ and a cylinder bank stagger of exactly 1"
They are in effect not centered. If all things are perfect
that means a minimum off center condition of .035. I feel this is a DMS thing.

I will soon be dummying up my 430 stroker with
Carrillo 2" journal SBC rods. I will post the results.
Gremlin Dreams
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 8:03pm

Being the offset of the rods are switched from bank to bank, they become pretty near centered with OEM rods. The problem with using Chevy rods is they are offset more and in the opposite direction as AMC rods.

Unless you remove .010 from the non chamfered  side of the std Chevy rods and reverse them on the crank you don't need to tell me how it comes out. I already know!

SKeown 

Edited by SKeown - Nov/07/2014 at 8:09pm
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2014 at 8:16am
The bearing you want to use is the N series, intended for increased clearance for cranks with big fillet radius. as described here.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Clevite/Clevite-77-Ford-High-Performance-Bearings/744634/10002/-1

I had the bearing chamfer cut when the rods were re-chamferred.  In my mock up (with Eagle Rods) the side of the bearing was too close to the radius with the narrow bearings.  And I had the H series, juts didn't have the extra clearance desired when I reversed the rods.

But, looking back, I suppose I might have had more bearing area if I simply got normal width since I ended up chamfering them anyway.
turvlo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turvlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 9:13am
Many thanks for information. This being my first engine ever to look inside, there is alot to learn that's for sure.

SKeown - I have Diamond pistons with 1.123 Compression Height to fit on the 6.125 Rods.
Rings are Total Seal CR7560 65, 1/16 1/16 3/16.

I tested with rod bearing pn CB-745HN and got only 0.0015 rod clearance. Will this be to tight, and if so what is my options? Is 0.0025 more desired rod clearance?

BassBoat - how did you chamfering the bearings?

Rune
turvlo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turvlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 10:10am
This is my piston:

http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/turvlo/media/piston_2_zpsfb04fc8b.jpg. -
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 10:15am

Years back when the Chevy guys tried stuffing a long stroke in their engines they had to resort to pistons that short. To avoid having the oil rings totally in the pin bores they settled on one compression ring. That created a very unstable piston and extremely short ring life, and they were running smaller bores. I hope you have better results. You must reverse the Chevy rods which will require Chamfering the opposite side of the rods as well as the bearings. Failing to do that will further destabilize the pistons due to having the rods aligned off center on the wrist pins. I have to question how deep the piston's valve pockets are? I had to go .350 in and .275 ex to clear my cam's specs. With reliefs that deep I'm curious how they got those rings in there without the lands and pocket interference? Diamond does produce an excellent product.

SKeown
turvlo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turvlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 10:30am
Looks like .335
http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/turvlo/media/spec_2_zpsb1aa1c63.jpg. -

What about my .0015 rod bearing clearance. What would you do?

Rune,
Norway
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 10:51am

After seeing you're piston, I think they will have at lease nearly as much skirt surface as mine. That was achieved by extending the length down, and was enabled due to the longer rods getting the piston further from the crank's counterweight. Do take the steps necessary to reverse the rods. 

My Wiseco pistons as delivered and after further lightening.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic