TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

connection info for this cluster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: connection info for this cluster
    Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 10:24pm
Cluster from an AMX shown below, which will be going into my 73 Javelin.
My TSM for 73 does NOT cover optional equipment or this cluster in the electric diagrams. Either it never did or someone ripped out the pages showing options and accessories.
My 74 TSM does show accessory wiring such as radios and the tach, etc - but AMC obviously made a number of changes for 74 as the connections shown in my TSM aren't even close to what this cluster looks like.
So I assume this is NOT from a 74. It doesn't match as far as connections for tach, clock, etc.
This cluster is likely from a 71-73 but my TSMs from those years show only standard equipment - no options, no radio connections, etc. 

So - what are the connections for this cluster?
Can anyone explain which connections are for what as far as tach, clock and so on?
 - and can anyone pinpoint a year for this cluster - which is going into my car if I can figure out how to wire it.
I have no harness and will have to make my own - but have no idea at this point what connections are for what. There's a red wire with a connector, there's a spade connector on the stud by the tach, what's what?

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 10:41pm
I pulled one of the rally pack gauge sets out of one car and installed it in a different car many years ago. seems that the original connector plugged into the dash and had a separate wiring harness for the tac. A few sending units had to be changed from light type to gauge type sending units. And the amp gauge wiring needs fixed, some people dont like the main charge wiring coming into the dash and back out to the battery.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 10:55pm
I suspect the ammeter is rigged just like my 70 is - with the terminal block on the fender, etc.
I'll try to compare to my 70 and rig that similar.
The tach and clock are the bigger issue - although having a diagram correct for this specific cluster would help.
I suspect there was a different or additional harness for the tach - but what plugs to what?
There's that red wire - and that terminal next to it. What is what?
How does the tach ground  how about the clock?
The oil pressure would likely use the same pin and just a different sending unit.
The line of pins appears to be the same on both the original and this one and the copper traces go to roughly the same areas. 
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 10:57pm
Does this help? The red looks easy and identifying the tach can be done with momentary contact with a 9V battery. Don't see the ground connection though?

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 11:23pm
Well that helps for the clock - apparently it's that red wire with the connector - but how is the tach connected - I see nothing showing how it's wired. (I know it goes to the coil, but what connection goes to the coil - there is NO brown wire, no black wire, in fact other than that red which I now know is clock - there's nothing on the tach saying what to connect to where. There's not even a + mark on it.
So where would brown connect - and where would black connect?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 11:27pm
PS - 9 volt battery??  those still exist??  Wasn't there some sort of device decades ago called a "transistor radio" that was rumored to use those?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 4:48am
Here is one other missing connection that he in line header on standard clusters. It is from the oil pressure sender signal. you will need to pull a connection terminal from a harness. Does not need to be from a Javelin, just the type used in instrument clusters.

The rest Lyle has shown and the ammeter connections.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 6:36am
Bill, I am working from memory but the insulated washers should be the clue if no one messed with them. Black under the spade terminal and brown under the push on stud. That matches the wire colors. The spade terminal should be the black coil wire connection and the push on terminal should be the brown ACC power feed for the tach. The red, as you already know, is the clock power. The ground is supplied through the flex circuit board where it is attached to the upper corner of the tach case.

Edited by pit crew - Apr/15/2018 at 6:39am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 6:57am
Removed my reply, as not to confuse anyone.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/15/2018 at 7:28am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 7:10am
What I meant was just touch each of the insulated terminals with the 9V battery to see which one makes the tach needle jump. That's the tach black wire.
As fo the other gauges try using 3V to 5V DC (batteries if nothing else) power to each connector to see what moves what gauge.
The ground connection I did not see but may be just the cluster mount?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic