TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

compression question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compression question
    Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 8:20pm
I'm having the engine rebuilt in my '68 390 AMX. It has the close-ratio 4-speed with 3.15 gears. I want to be able to safely use readily available premium pump gas (91-92 octane) in it. Can I safely do this with the stock 10.25 compression? (I hear the AMC V8 is not overly compression sensitive.) The engine will be stock except for a slightly more aggressive hydraulic lifter cam. Or should I use lower-compression pistons? Thanks in advance.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 8:59pm

With the cam and correct ignition timing I wouldn't hesitate to run 10.25 CR on 92 gas. Don't increase the quench by resorting to thicker head gaskets though.

SKeown
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 9:37pm
Like SKeown said. I have about 10.4:1 static compression if you take into account the overbore and it runs on 91 octane. Make sure you have the timing set right for your driving and available fuel. I would also suggest that you check with the cam manufacturer for their thoughts, cam selection can make a big difference to engine detonation. 

Thanks!

Chris 
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 10:16pm
Highest octane at the pump here is 91. So, I went with 73 dog-leg heads which lower the stock compression from 10.25 to about 9.6 on a 390 V8 bored .30 over. I also installed a very mild cam often referred to as a RV cam. Also running '73 free flow exhaust manifolds.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 10:21pm
Hardened valve seats on the heads as well for the unleaded gas. Otherwise you can use a fuel additive every time you fill up to keep the valves lubricated.
DWR
1968 AMX

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

Hardened valve seats on the heads as well for the unleaded gas. Otherwise you can use a fuel additive every time you fill up to keep the valves lubricated.
Absolutely. Any good machine shop will also replace the guides before they install the hardened seats, because a good guide is required to properly center and cut the seat insert. Also because worn guides let the valve rock around as it closes, which wears out the seat and the valve face.

If you cut corners on the seats and guides you will pay for it later down the road. The faster you drive, the sooner you will pay for it. I didn't put hardened guides and hardened seats into my 232 when I rebuilt it and it pounded out its exhaust seats 15,000 miles later.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 1:52pm
Summit Racing has a Compression Calculator on their website. Get accurate compression without the guess work. Info needed is: bore, stroke, cylinder head volume, effective dome volume, deck clearance, compressed gasket thickness, number of cylinders. Then the calculator determines compression ratio and total displacement.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 4:28pm
If you plan on driving it a lot, I would lower the compression.
I had a stock 390 and it was a problem with stock compression.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 6:33pm
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll check with the builder and see what he thinks. I'm thinking somewhere in the mid to high 9's might be a good compromise.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 6:37pm
Having spent the last 20 years of my life building AMC engines for myself on 91 octane gasoline, I would not build one over 9:1 compression. They are safe and you can tune the heck out of them. I got tired of buying octane boost trying to run greater compression.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic