TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Compatible Rear Ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compatible Rear Ends
    Posted: May/28/2014 at 10:05am
Hi, I have a 1986 AMC Eagle that needs a rear end, however, I have not been able to find one. Several people are telling me that the Jeep Cherokee and '87 Commando are compatible. Is this true and if so what year Cherokee?

Thanks!
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 11:28am
I'm not really sure of the answer to your question, but if you end up needing a Cherokee rear end I have a good one (drum to drum, good brakes, 3.55 gears) from a 91 Cherokee Limited that you can have for $50.00 + shipping. Or if you can pick it up from my shop it's free!!
Big smile
Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 12:09pm
XJ will work with one issue that I know of.
You need to add shock mounts, or is it take them off? move them?

Anyway The width is correct and they have one piece axles, win-win.

I bought spring saddles off of these guys, they may have an easy to use shock mount.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 1:05pm
The shock mounts are both on the same side of the Cherokee axle, staggered (on front/one back) on the Eagle -- so one has to be moved. Of course if the upper mount is "forgiving" enough you may be able to mount the shocks with the stock XJ mounts... provided the exhaust or other items don't interfere. 
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 4:40pm
Sorry for the hijack. Moved to my thread.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic32890_post545866.html

Edited by carnuck - May/29/2014 at 4:51pm
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The shock mounts are both on the same side of the Cherokee axle, staggered (on front/one back) on the Eagle -- so one has to be moved. Of course if the upper mount is "forgiving" enough you may be able to mount the shocks with the stock XJ mounts... provided the exhaust or other items don't interfere. 

Comanche mounts are on the same side (rear of the diff, on the springpads and not even attached to the diff). XJ are reversed to Eagle. Not sure about YJ (leaf sprung Wrangler till '95) but TJ and ZJ (and those made since) are coil sprung.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic