TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Collier Motors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collier Motors?
    Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 9:45pm
So does anyone know what the deal is with Collier Motors? I live about two and a half hours away from the historic dealership. I have heard stories that it is in shambles. I saw the American Pickers episode shot there and I was flabbergasted that it looks like a scene from AMC's The Walking Dead. Does anyone know the owners? If plausible, I would like to volunteer to help them clean up the dealership.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 8:08am
Although I applaud your zeal, it  might be an effort in futility. If you recall on the American Pickers episode, the old man was sitting at hi desk sorting used car stickers like he was still in business, totally oblivious to his surroundings. And the son didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either. Considering they have a pretty complete '70s dealership going, one would think they would want to make an effort to save what is left. But sadly I doubt that will ever happen. It will continue to rot and deteriorate until there is little left to save. Once the old man and his son are gone, the heirs will scrap whatever is left. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a law similar to emanate domain to take all of the property while there is still something to save?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 9:12am
That comment hurts. I don't think I would be for a law that basically said if you won't sell your stuff we will take it. It is his property to do with as he wishes. As to him selling I have bought from him. His parts and cars are priced what we all think are too high for the market. But he does occasionally have a buyer.
The Breeze View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 10:58am
Yeah, it is depressing. I truly hope that Collier's son frequents this website and finds this post though. I considered contacting them personally to let them know my intentions, but I do not want to go guns blazing and weird them out. If at all possible, I would totally fix the landscape and help move some of the cars inside the building for protection.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 11:23am
If I'm not mistaken others have volunteered to clear trees and brush but were not allowed to do this. Meanwhile all of those once valuable cars rust and rot. 
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Although I applaud your zeal, it  might be an effort in futility. If you recall on the American Pickers episode, the old man was sitting at hi desk sorting used car stickers like he was still in business, totally oblivious to his surroundings. And the son didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either. Considering they have a pretty complete '70s dealership going, one would think they would want to make an effort to save what is left. But sadly I doubt that will ever happen. It will continue to rot and deteriorate until there is little left to save. Once the old man and his son are gone, the heirs will scrap whatever is left. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a law similar to emanate domain to take all of the property while there is still something to save?

Later!
Mr. Ed

No, despite our own feelings of frustration with what others do with THEIR stuff, it is theirs just like ours is OURS. All this being theory, of course. The reality is different. It would not be nice to have yet another law that further reduces someone else's freedom for our own present interest. That same law eventually, like all laws, comes around and bites YOU and your "FREEDOM" too.

Steve
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 6:32pm
OK I'm going to give you my IMHO comments. I think Colliers were looking for a big pay day. Sadly I think they have missed the day by about 10 years. If they sold out at auction about 10 years ago a lot of those cars could have still been in good enough shape to restore. Now I think your highest bidder will be the junk yard guy. First off they wanted restored car money for cars that needed restoring. I think at best most of the cars might make now, are parts cars , most likely at about scrap rate plus at best.

I did see the American Pickers episode with the Nash Healeys and here were I see a big disconnect on Colliers part. The AMCs they wanted big money for, in reality the Nash Healeys went cheap compared to what restored Nash Healeys are going for in the 125 K range. There one at the old Imperial Place here in Las Vegas  nee the LINQ car museum for sale for an over priced 250K ! The two Nash Healeys Pat and Mike bought cheap enough that flipping them for a profit was not going to be too hard .  Sadly I think the junker will eventually get that majority of the whole lot from Colliers. LRDaum
LRDaum
The Breeze View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 12:36pm
Slate does have an excellent point, because people's property is their own. But is there not a point to where neighbors or others can complain that a place becomes an eyesore and needs to be fixed? For example, a homeowner does not mow their lawn for months and it becomes a savanna. People may complain and the local government would request that the homeowner cut their lawn or else. I do value freedom, but there does come a point to where something needs to be done. I admit that I do not like it when people tell me to do certain things, but leaving precious automobile treasures out in the weather is borderline abuse IMHO.

I am surprised that the Colliers turned down volunteers. I would never expect anything in return for my service. I would do it just to see another victory for AMC.

A little effort can go a long ways. Sure the cars are losing value daily, but at least if something was done now, there would be plenty of AMC parts and a financial gain to benefit Collier Motors.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 1:28pm
It's called a free market. The cars have been for sale and a few sold. The rest, it seems, did not find interested buyers. Approaching the "problem" from eyesore  stautes, etc., unless it's specifically addressing the eyesore issue only, is still trying to manipulate things to get , what exactly, done with the Collier's property. What are the unforeseen repercussions of forcing their hand? Pushing the cars into the junkman's lot to only, for sure,  be destined as parts carts? And maybe that's what they are, but all these efforts involving "laws" amount to reducing their freedom now, and ours later. You then, in effect, legitimize things like eminent domain, except in this case not even the Collier's benefit and they might not get wholesale value. The cars go for whatever they can get rid of them for. Maybe the cars aren't worth a damm now. Either buy what they have that is worth something to you or leave it alone.

Bottom line, it's theirs.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 3:07pm
It's not much different than people who hoard items over decades, keeping it all to themselves in case they might someday need it, and then one day they pass away and the immediate family scraps it all.

Or the person who collects parts, but then their personal fortunes change - they then have so much stuff accumulated, and they need to sell it off in such a short amount of time, that the bulk of it ends up in the scrap heap.

Even more irrational is when these individuals want large sums of money for these items, and then end up taking pennies on the dollar for scrap when they don't sell.

Incredibly frustrating for those of us who may now need those parts, but they bought it, it's their stuff.   

Edited by sweatlock - Jul/21/2015 at 3:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic