TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cold weather drivability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold weather drivability
    Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 1:05am
Problem: I have a 232 that runs like a Swiss watch in summer, but HATES winter like no other.

I've studied the heck out of it and one problem is the exhaust manifold warms up fast and releases the choke quickly, but the intake manifold stays cold. The result is a super lean engine that runs very rough and is down on power.

On top of that, the engine coolant temp gradually rises enough for the CTO to bring the EGR into operation even though the engine is still running way lean due to a cold intake manifold. Now it runs even worse.

AND...the coolant temp rises very slowly. I mean my 360 and 4.0L warm up twice as fast as this engine. I have to drive 10 miles for this engine to hit 170*. What the heck?

Even after the engine has run for several hours straight and is up to 195*, the intake is still too cold to run right.

I have put in several new 195* thermostats, the stock warm air intake on the air cleaner works as it should, the heat damper works as it should and I have even wired it CLOSED with no luck. Everything on this engine is as it came from the factory. I have blueprinted the carburetor and every emission control. I have set the ignition timing, timing advance, idle speed, fast idle, everything to the book. Yes, I have even tried retuning it off specification with no luck.

Like I said, this is on 10-40* days. On a 70-110* day it is the sweetest motor in the world. What the heck?

I can mask the issues by forcing the choke to stay nearly fully closed all the time and disabling the EGR...but those are not real solutions. I cannot run around with a glued shut choke. That is not right.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this engine hates the cold so much when I have done literally EVERYTHING to it short of leave the choke on all the time.

I cannot believe they ran like this through Kenosha winters, which are FAR worse than my Kansas ones. What is going on here?

Edited by FSJunkie - Aug/12/2014 at 1:16am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 1:17am
I haven't replaced the ignition coil...perhaps it is weak and cannot fire the plugs through a lean mixture?

But if that was true, how come it fires up instantly even in sub-zero weather?
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 2:21am
Would it be possible to convert the automatic choke to manual using a cable?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Would it be possible to convert the automatic choke to manual using a cable?
Yes, but leaving the choke on all the time on a fully warmed up engine just because it's below freezing outside isn't a proper solution. Something is wrong, and leaving the choke on does not fix that. They did not run like this from the factory.

Plus, the last time I ran around in winter with the choke on I got nearly single digit gas mileage even though the engine ran decently. That kind of points to being overly rich, even though it is how the engine ran best.

I'm beginning to think that maybe this engine isn't running as lean as I previously thought. Maybe it's only slightly on the lean side (which is pretty normal), and something else is reducing its ability to burn a lean mixture.

Perhaps a weak spark at the plugs. Weak sparks ignite rich mixtures easier, so maybe it can't burn the slightly lean mix. I've replaced nearly everything in the ignition system except the coil. I could have gotten a defect module as well.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:12pm
If you have power brakes, make sure the booster isn't leaking vacuum.The wrong PCV will flow too much air and lean it out too. Alcohol in modern fuel makes older motors run different now. Have you done a water trickle flush to clean the valves? Timing chain slop is a big issue too.
   I spoke with Echlin about 10 years ago about the ignition coil and how running my points with the IC12 they sell made it run much better without the every 6 month points replacement the one they listed caused. (I think it was IC13) That is what they now list for most domestic points vehicles. It's actually an electronic ignition coil with double the potential output of the points coils.

Edited by carnuck - Aug/12/2014 at 12:15pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

If you have power brakes, make sure the booster isn't leaking vacuum.The wrong PCV will flow too much air and lean it out too. Alcohol in modern fuel makes older motors run different now. Have you done a water trickle flush to clean the valves? Timing chain slop is a big issue too.
   I spoke with Echlin about 10 years ago about the ignition coil and how running my points with the IC12 they sell made it run much better without the every 6 month points replacement the one they listed caused. (I think it was IC13) That is what they now list for most domestic points vehicles. It's actually an electronic ignition coil with double the potential output of the points coils.

The PBB has a very slow leak in it, probably the check valve. I have flow tested my PCV's against the specs in the manual and they match. Valves are pretty clean. I have tried running non-ethanol gas. Timing chain is an unknown, but why would it act up only in cold weather and only from 5-15 minutes after starting.

IDk...I'll probably be rebuilding and doing a mild blueprint on this engine this spring anyway. Anything that isn't factory is about to become factory. I'm probably the only person on this forum who actually degrees the cam on his emissions-era inline six.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 2:35pm
Thick oil causes the cam to turn slow so all the chain slack retards the cam until the oil warms up.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 2:38pm
Is your car still using the manifold heat tube choke? I've cured a lot of issues on my sixes by converting to an electric choke. I've also driven mine in the bitter of winter with no issues. Secondly, do you have the warm air tube connected to the manifold heat stove?  That may aid the warm up period if it's not.

Thirdly, (and I may be wrong on this one), I thought EGR was only supposed to come into play under a running/light load situation - not at idle or WOT.

Try disabling your EGR next cold day to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you've narrowed the problem down.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Is your car still using the manifold heat tube choke? I've cured a lot of issues on my sixes by converting to an electric choke. I've also driven mine in the bitter of winter with no issues. Secondly, do you have the warm air tube connected to the manifold heat stove?  That may aid the warm up period if it's not.

Thirdly, (and I may be wrong on this one), I thought EGR was only supposed to come into play under a running/light load situation - not at idle or WOT.

Try disabling your EGR next cold day to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you've narrowed the problem down.

Still has the hot air choke. Electric chokes in my experience open up FASTER than hot air.

Yep, warm air intake on the air cleaner is operating and hooked up as it should. That was pretty much the first thing I checked.

EGR only operates when the engine is above 115* coolant temp and at light to moderate load at part throttle, so no, I do not notice it at idle, but as soon as I give it gas and get up to ~3 MPH I sure notice it! Talk about a bog... But it's perfectly happy taking EGR in summer. Just in winter on top of idling like crap and being down on overall power, it can't take EGR.

Whatever it is, I'm sure to find it this spring when I rebuild the engine, I'd just like to find it sooner.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:26pm
I've been working on it. Just pulled it out of 3 month storage yesterday.

It actually runs worse in this summer heat than in winter. At least in winter I have a few minutes after I start it before it gets rough. Now it's rough as soon as I start it and stays that way for 5 minutes or so before becoming the smoothest engine on Earth.

It's rough while the choke is partially closed and the fast idle is on. If I manually close the choke further, it smooths out. Also, if I fully open the choke and drop it down to curb idle it smooths out. That tells me the idle mixture is fine and there are no vacuum leaks, but the part throttle mixture is lean.

Ignition system is fine. Coil and module check out good along with everything else on this engine.

I still think something is not right on the metering rod control system. It has the right metering rod, but the complex linkage that controls its movement might not be right.

Edited by FSJunkie - Aug/24/2014 at 12:06am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic