TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Coil springs height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil springs height
    Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 8:46pm
What is the front coil springs unloaded spring height for 70 V8 AMX and 70 javelin 6 cylinder ?

THANKS.
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 6:49am
Unfortunately AMC stopped publishing spring data in the 1970+ TSMs. It's in all 69 and earlier, but that does you no good as the suspension design change also change the spring rates and heights due to moving he spring further inboard (needs a stiffer spring). 
Frank Swygert
70amxpaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 10:38am
Thanks Frank, I'm trying to find out if I have 6 cylinder coil springs, as the car sits lower then other 70 AMX.
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 11:16am
I donno... Seems like a few peeps have complained about spring sag up front with 70 on up v8 Javelins and AMX cars.

Not saying any other car is not affected, for the most part not talked about, thus being my only perception as for now.

My high milage 71 Javelin that had been a daily driver since 2002, did not show any sag up front. Looked as good as my 65,000 mile Javelin back in 84.

Since It Is easy to remove front springs on 70 on up AMC cars, and the abundance of I6 small cars, I would imagine for strip use peeps would swap out and live with it.

Billd has his 73 with a mean 360 build, and it had weak springs up front. Then there its more members who also note the lower front on their cars. Most of them have a 360 or bigger engine. Maybe I am wrong in thinking, but it is just a guess.

About stock spring free height, 14.5 to 14.75 but it may be by who makes the springs.

My old stock NAPA springs measured 14.5, but is have yet to put the whole car back on the ground with everything all put back together.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 11:52am
I bought a set from the seller ESPO and they are 14.5 ,which is 1.5 to high in my mind. They have been on the car 6 years and have dropped zero. Someday will pull and cut them done.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 2:53pm
I wouldn't use height as the sole factor in determining rate. The coil's thickness is part of it too.

-Steve-

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

I wouldn't use height as the sole factor in determining rate. The coil's thickness is part of it too.

-Steve-

Yeah, just thought the OP wanted info when checking what manufacturers state on the details.

As long as the 9.5 give or take .100 is what you get with load height when installed, then it is all good for stock.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
70amxpaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 12:31pm
Thanks everyone for the input..... just measure my 13.5" long and appears they may have been cut down. I'm finding other strange items on the car, 71 up front disc brakes.

Car only has 65000 miles.

The car has a nice little rake in the front and did ride and corner nicely. Car was only used for week-end shows and never any long trips over 3 hours one way.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 1:19pm

You can't necessarily tell from the unloaded height.  I just finished (20 minutes ago) replacing one of the springs on my '72 Javelin 304.  I plan to do the other side tomorrow.   My car had the 3197431 factory springs on it.  Unexpectedly, the OLD springs unloaded actually measure a good 1/2" TALLER than the new MOOG 3112 springs, which cross-reference directly to the factory OEM part.  Before installation I was worried that the already-low car was going to sit even lower, but it turns out that my fears were unfounded. The side with the new spring sits noticeably HIGHER than the old now that it's installed on the car.

According to an earlier post on another thread, BillD had the same factory spring as me on his '70 Javelin with HD suspension, so it might be the spring your AMX used too.  Look for a tag on the springs.  Mine were still (barely) legible after 45 years.

The stance of the new springs looks like it will be just right.  Perhaps it's going to be a tad high at first, but I'm sure it will settle with time.

Just FYI, my original springs measured 15.25" unloaded, and the new Moog replacements were 14.75".  Sounds like yours might have been cut, as you said.

I got the best price on the Moog 3112 springs from JEGS.  I originally ordered them for slightly less from a company called "Autoplicity", a vendor on Amazon, but they sent the wrong part and I ended up getting a refund.  My experience with their customer service was not good, so I don't recommend them.  The shipment from JEGS arrived quickly and I got free freight by including a few more things to get the order total up to $100.  Without freight the springs were around $78 for the pair.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/26/2017 at 10:47pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic