TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Coil Spring 6cyl vs. 8cyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirdgenowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil Spring 6cyl vs. 8cyl
    Posted: May/12/2013 at 10:16pm
I read that a factory supported SC/Rambler drag vehicle used, among other upgrades, six cylinder front springs with factory supplied bottom shims to restore stock height. What would be the advantage of that?
Living vicariously thru my Rambler
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 1:58pm
Six cylinder springs are an old drag racer's trick. They compress easily with a V8 engine and upon launch they rebound substantially to transfer weight to the rear tires.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 3:07pm
While this sounds sensible, in AMC land, where a 6 weighs nearly as much (if not more) than a 1968 and up AMC V8, and has more of its mass ahead of the front axle than a comparable V8 car, I really wonder if this is true.

I would think it more likely to be helpful if you changed springs across chassis types, for instance, it is possible that a 6 cylinder Gremlin spring would be a substantially different rate than a V8 Ambassador spring of similar vintage.  I seriously doubt there is much difference if any between a 6 cyl Gremlin and a V8 Gremlin spring.  All you need to do is look at a current NAPA spring catalog and you'll find just one part number for both.

I'd really be interested to know if anyone on the forum has AMC factory details of spring rates for various chassis.  I do remember when the Concord was launched that AMC made a  big deal about how the springs were 'computer selected'.  I don't doubt that was true, but I wonder if the 'computer' was not much more than a hand held calculator.... ;) 
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

While this sounds sensible, in AMC land, where a 6 weighs nearly as much (if not more) than a 1968 and up AMC V8, and has more of its mass ahead of the front axle than a comparable V8 car, I really wonder if this is true.

I would think it more likely to be helpful if you changed springs across chassis types, for instance, it is possible that a 6 cylinder Gremlin spring would be a substantially different rate than a V8 Ambassador spring of similar vintage.  I seriously doubt there is much difference if any between a 6 cyl Gremlin and a V8 Gremlin spring.  All you need to do is look at a current NAPA spring catalog and you'll find just one part number for both.

I'd really be interested to know if anyone on the forum has AMC factory details of spring rates for various chassis.  I do remember when the Concord was launched that AMC made a  big deal about how the springs were 'computer selected'.  I don't doubt that was true, but I wonder if the 'computer' was not much more than a hand held calculator.... ;) 
Just for instance. I am looking at my 1969 TSM on page 32 & 33 of section 12. It has almost 2 pages of springs listed for the AMC line. Wire Dia.   Load Height,  Rate lbs per inch, and they are color coded per app.  They had light, heavy, WAC (withA/C)  springs for 6 cyl, springs for 8 cyl. I see about 10 or 11 different springs  listed just for 1969 models...
69 BBG AMX #09007 "If it's to loud! Your to old!:"    jax-AMXpress@msn.com
AMO #1945
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by jackdk jackdk wrote:

Just for instance. I am looking at my 1969 TSM on page 32 & 33 of section 12. It has almost 2 pages of springs listed for the AMC line. Wire Dia.   Load Height,  Rate lbs per inch, and they are color coded per app.  They had light, heavy, WAC (withA/C)  springs for 6 cyl, springs for 8 cyl. I see about 10 or 11 different springs  listed just for 1969 models...

OK - this is the kind of info I'd enjoy seeing.  The question in my mind would be just how big a difference in spring rate there is between the 6 and V8 applications, and if there were meaningful differences (remembering the original poster's question) between the two, or within the groups.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by jackdk jackdk wrote:

OK - this is the kind of info I'd enjoy seeing.  The question in my mind would be just how big a difference in spring rate there is between the 6 and V8 applications, and if there were meaningful differences (remembering the original poster's question) between the two, or within the groups.

Back about 1970, the AMC dealership in northern NJ, where I bought my 69 BBG Javelin, installed 6 cylinder American springs for me. I also put in Lakewood 90/10 shocks for drag racing. I do not recall how much it dropped the front end, but coming off the line with that built 343, with the weight transfer under a launch off the line, I would pull the front wheel off the ground about 1" for about 5 feet. So it did work the way I intended. I am now getting ready to install 6 cylinder American springs in my 69 BBG AMX, in hopes of dropping my front end about an inch or two. Any lower than that might put me dangerously close to crushing my very expensive headers. It took me 3 sets of 6 cyl springs to finally find something that might work. Some of the very light 6 cyl Americans had two different springs in the front, and you can also see them listed in the TSM. That what I found to be the strangest thing. Anyway! They are all sand blasted, and ready to go in. So I shall see soon.

Picture is of the newly painted 6cyl spring ready to go, and my HD AMX spring, which I have NO way of releasing from the tool, and crushing the 6 cyl spring 9" to get into the tool. So I guess I'll be taking it to a shop...

AMO #1945
Krauss101 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krauss101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 6:23am
I wanted to lower the front of my American , The original springs were shot, when I took then out one of the springs was almost 4" shorter then the other, Anyway I took out the 6cly.and put in a 401, the shop that ordered the springs said there were only two available, V-8 and 6 cyl. with air cond. so I to thought that the V-8 would be much heavier, I got the 6 cyl, springs and the car looks like an old gasser with front end way up in the air and no bounce, I can't even get the shocks in they are so far extended. Has any one cut front springs to get the correct height ?
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Krauss101 Krauss101 wrote:

I wanted to lower the front of my American , The original springs were shot, when I took then out one of the springs was almost 4" shorter then the other, Anyway I took out the 6cly.and put in a 401, the shop that ordered the springs said there were only two available, V-8 and 6 cyl. with air cond. so I to thought that the V-8 would be much heavier, I got the 6 cyl, springs and the car looks like an old gasser with front end way up in the air and no bounce, I can't even get the shocks in they are so far extended. Has any one cut front springs to get the correct height ?

I called SringsnThings.com, and Laura told me they only had one set available for the 68/69. They where all HD springs, and didn't make if they where for 6 or v8 cars, American/Javelin or AMX. They all took the same one to keep cost down,  because of the low volume of sales on that item.

I end up buy three sets of used 6 cyl American springs until I found a set that I think will fit my AMX the way I want. The first set was very thin coils, had 10 coils top to bottom, and the coils where 3/4" different in height. The second set had 10 coils, a little thicker coils, and both the same height. The 3rd set (the set I'm using) had 11 coils (same as my AMX) the same height, but a smaller diameter coil than my AMX. So I'm hoping this will drop my car 1-2".

Here is another option! I'm going to do this if my 6 cyl spring idea doesn't work for me.

I talked to Kevin Crane at coilsprings.com. If you measure the trim weight of your car (floor to center of wheel well opening, mine is 27") send Kevin your springs, then tell him where you want the car to sit, (maybe 25") he will make the spring to within 1/4" desired trim height.

Cutting springs could weaken the spring, plus the trunion cars, the spring is flat on the bottom. So that could cause a problem in how your spring will sit under the weight of the car.

AMO #1945
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 7:52am
First and foremost the discussion is covering a 43 year old car that aftermarket has been supplying parts for most of that time.
And 43 years old also defines a front suspension re-design that took place that actually altered to some extent what could be gotten away with. Trunnions have some mechanical properties that ball joints do not have and visa versa.
I am not familiar with how to deal with trunnions as to ball joints? Starting with, how many years do you think the factory (speaking of taking it to a dealer and having the "Dealer" install 6 cylinder springs apply) actually had a stock room full of part numbered springs.?
And the probability that was actually done after X number of years went by.  Or from another standpoint, if the thing needed springs where did they come from?  Choices? A wrecking yard with the gimme a spring that fits? Or a spring shop, wind me one that fits? or??? What ever reason you cn think of.
Taking NAPA as a source of aftermarket springs, they used 5 part numbers from springs in NAPA stock to fit springs to all AMC cars from 1970 to end of production with the exception of ALL WHEEL drive models and Pacers.
So what spring do you think you are going to find under a 43 year old car with any degree of confidence?
My experience says sort of twisty round looking ones.
And as spring rates are effected by wire size and the number of coils and a few other variables, there is no guaranty at all what may happen or something specific might be on a spring removed from any one car of unknown heritage.
My have owned more than a few ball joint front suspension AMC cars and rebuilt the front ends of over 2 dozen of them. If I have needed a spring and had access to a junk yard with AMC cars in them I have gotten a matched pair from something, brought them home, routinely cut about half a coil out of the top of them and installed them in what ever I was working on.
Why?
First of all, they fit. That pretty much tracks what NAPA says, all 5 of their part numbers can be pretty much found one way or another in the front of an AMC car.  The lightest being a small 6 Gremlin no options and the heaviest a full blown AMBO fully loaded.
Why did I need a spring? Damage to the ones on the car. Rust, accident, what ever, the things are 40+ years old.  They stopped being pristine a long time ago.
The weight difference? Not enough to get upset about.  After 40 some odd years the objective was to go down the road more or less up right and to get the nose out of the air.
The last done by taking about a half a turn out of the top.
Basic rule of thumb, one coil = 3 inches of height.
A rule of thumb that holds true pretty much across the board based compression rate of so many pounds per inch.
That hold constant or close enough to be workable across AMC models and pretty much anything else with ball joints.  Trunnions having a slightly different mechanical response.
That also says that if I am pulling a set of springs from an AMBO to put in a Gremlin, an AMBO being heavier I probably would take 3/4 of a turn rather a half a turn.
In general, to make something work, close is good enough.
After all considering the parts sources them selves, close is gonna be about as best as you can get.
Unless you pay good money for the best in the business, but you have to ask to some extent are they better than a ball park estimate?
As to cutting springs.  DON'T USE HEAT.  Heat destroys springs. Torching them is not a good thing.  A cut off tool works well, quick and efficient and does not have heat.
Is there a down side? Yes there always is, you have to pay attention to the new now altered size. It is not perfectly square any longer.  There will be a little more bow to a compressed spring and you want the bow towards the tire, not the inner fender well. It rubs there.
A half a turn gets the nose out of the air.  A primary objective. It is not that the tail is too low, the nose is too high.
How far out of the air is dependent on exactly how much you want it to drop down and where it ends up. It is after all an estimate.
I personally like a nose down rake.  But if I am looking for level it make take pulling the spring a couple of times.
Is there any great loss? None that I can see, cutting a section out increases the spring rate, stiffens it up as they say, but road ride is un-detectable as to it's change.
How far can you go?
As far as you are comfortable with.
Through a mistake I made not detecting that the car I was working on had really the wrong springs in it before I started or they already had been modified, I have gone down 6 inches from factory height with out a detectable ride problem.
There were others before I discovered I was 6 inches down, but no show stoppers.
I obtained replacements from a wrecking yard Concord and took a half a coil out. That was more reasonable.
The point? After 40+ some odd years, the factory part numbers are long gone and junk yard parts will work with a little work.  So will other sources.  But the fact still remains, NAPA has 5 part numbers that cover ALL AMC APPLICATIONS except Pacer and Eagle. from 1970 up and I am not going to get real emotional over a nuance that no longer exists.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by uncljohnSo what spring do you think you are going to find under a 43 year old car with any degree of First of all, they fit. That pretty much tracks what NAPA says, all 5 of their part numbers can be The point? After 40+ some odd years, the factory part numbers are long gone and junk yard parts will work with a little work.  So will other sources.  But the fact still remains, NAPA has 5 part numbers that cover ALL AMC APPLICATIONS except Pacer and Eagle. from 1970 up and I am not going to get real emotional over a nuance that no longer exists. <BR><BR><BR>[/QUOTE uncljohnSo what spring do you think you are going to find under a 43 year old car with any degree of First of all, they fit. That pretty much tracks what NAPA says, all 5 of their part numbers can be The point? After 40+ some odd years, the factory part numbers are long gone and junk yard parts will work with a little work.  So will other sources.  But the fact still remains, NAPA has 5 part numbers that cover ALL AMC APPLICATIONS except Pacer and Eagle. from 1970 up and I am not going to get real emotional over a nuance that no longer exists.

[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks for your input uncljohn. But we are talking about 69 and down models, 44+ years old. Not the 5 NAPA part numbers for 70 and up. The only springs (and theres not many) that will work for the cars originally talked about in this thread are the springs for American, Javelin, and AMX. The 70 and newer springs are completely different, and the Ambo and Rebel springs are not going to work for us either. So we are even more restricted. When the dealer install

Thanks for your input uncljohn. But we are talking about 69 and down models, 44+ years old. Not the 5 NAPA part numbers for 70 and up. The only springs (and theres not many) that will work for the cars originally talked about in this thread are the springs for American, Javelin, and AMX. The 70 and newer springs are completely different, and the Ambo and Rebel springs are not going to work for us either. So we are even more restricted. When the dealer installed my springs in my Javelin, it was one year after I purchased the car. So it was about fall of 1970. All the part numbers where available at that time. The dealership encouraged drag racing, and they had a car of their own. About 1971, the parts manager sold me a complete Rally Pack for my Javelin for $25.00 brand new in the box. Said they where stuck with them, and couldn't give them away. Wish I bought all he had!  

Anyway. There are some guys I talked to say they had gone through 4 sets of 6 cylinder springs to find the height they wanted. I am on my 3rd set. I got to keep in mind, that my very expensive Hooker headers sit 5" off the pavement now. So I don't really want to drop it more than 2". So my search will continue.
AMO #1945
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic