TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

clutch suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch suggestions
    Posted: Jun/24/2020 at 8:01pm
TKO 500 tranny with Quicktime scattershield (plus 1/4" spacer),
hydraulic clutch.  Unsure of which clutch disc/pressure plate is
currently installed, but PP fingers are very flat.  Clutch releases
near the top of the pedal.  HC is Hydramax.  Est. hp = 450-475
at the crank.

Questions:

One:  what would it take to get the release towards the
bottom of the pedal stroke?

Two:  I loved the B & B style PP that McLeod used to make, but 
doesn't anymore.  Suggestions as to which diaphragm clutch would
be roughly equivalent to the B & B style?

Edited by bikerfox - Jun/24/2020 at 10:02pm
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 6:43am
I hear nothing good about CenterForce and still have my McLeod.
I see something new on the market and maybe someone has used one of these, pricey:

Edited by Trader - Jun/25/2020 at 6:45am
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 9:06am
The majority of people here that have used CF clutches like them.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 11:47am
I have a McLeod B&B-Long PP (their hybrid B&B with Long-style fingers), but don't know if they still offer them? It has a nice feel to me. Also using a CSC (stock-style for a Camaro T56 with Wilwood master, custom pedal bracket).

A CSC is designed to run with the TO bearing basically riding on the fingers, so release point adjustment will most likely need a change to your pedal geometry or a different style PP. Tough to mimic the feel of a mechanical clutch w/ B&B, but the B&B may feel better to you than a diaphragm-style.

Hope this helps,RD.
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 11:55am
10+ years on a CF in a 390 4spd two-seater. Occasional drag racing, hard street use, and never missed a beat. Installed them in several other peoples cars and zero issues.

Was the throw out bearing spaced out the 1/4" to match the bell housing? Not much travel on some of the Hyd. T/O bearings, so they have to be placed carefully. 
Bruce in NW Ohio
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by 70,71,72 AMXS 70,71,72 AMXS wrote:

10+ years on a CF in a 390 4spd two-seater. Occasional drag racing, hard street use, and never missed a beat. Installed them in several other peoples cars and zero issues.

Was the throw out bearing spaced out the 1/4" to match the bell housing? Not much travel on some of the Hyd. T/O bearings, so they have to be placed carefully. 

When we had the clutch disassembled a few months ago, we carefully checked how many spacers were needed on the input shaft and determined that there were two too many and were removed.  Plus, for some bizarre reason (mentioned in another post) the an fittings were nearly cut in half!  Obviously, the installers didn't know what they were doing.  Appears that the TOB was hung up on the PP, which had nearly flat fingers.  Hence the reason for a new clutch.

Wondering if this setup would work on the TKO 500 tranny?

Edited by bikerfox - Jun/25/2020 at 6:30pm
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 7:22pm
I cannot see why it would not work if the throw out bearing shown is the one in the kit. You will not find out until you have the bearing in hand to place on the transmission bearing retainer and check for clearance and fork lever fit.
Usually Jeeps have a 2x spring tab that fits the TOB. That certainly looks like the 2x finger tab bearing of an AMC.
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I cannot see why it would not work if the throw out bearing shown is the one in the kit. You will not find out until you have the bearing in hand to place on the transmission bearing retainer and check for clearance and fork lever fit.
Usually Jeeps have a 2x spring tab that fits the TOB. That certainly looks like the 2x finger tab bearing of an AMC.

Thanks, Trader. I'm using a hydraulic clutch with same TOB, not a mechanical one, so that bearing isn't an issue.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2020 at 10:33pm
Centerforce, replaced a Zoom Zeeter and never been happier.

The CF recommendation came from the forum back in 2007
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic