TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch suggestion 1970 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 8:59pm
I have a centerforce 2 clutch kit and happy with it.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 11:37pm
It looks like my options are either to use the Luke(?) diaphram clutch that is what was used before or I am still looking at the B+B types, either RAM or McLeod. 

I did like the action of the one that was in there, though I do like the sound of a slightly firmer pedal. It also comes down to a question of money, availability, and such. I have two auto shops here and they don't carry all lines of parts, particularly hi po pieces. Mail order is ridiculously expensive and the local shops take 6-8 weeks to get in what little they have. 

Thanks for the input!

Chris 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 9:18am
There's a diaphragm pressure plate in the WhiteJavelin, with a Ford type clutch disc. It has a T5, so the shaft is 1/16 less in diameter. I like the diaphragm pressure plate for the exact reasons a few mentioned they don't like them. It has light pedal pressure, it does have feel too, you just don't need to have Arnold's leg muscles to move the pedal. The bad thing about a higher pedal pressure is sometimes the  bellcrank cannot handle the added force needed to move the pressure plate. I've had a bellcrank fail in heavy traffic. The lever arm tore loose from the shaft. I will say that a slightly greater pedal pressure probably won't cause a problem. If you install an Arnold PP you should contemplate re-enforcing the bellcrank.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 9:47am
The issue of breaking clutch linkages has been mentioned to me by others. I am not thinking of a ridiculous pedal pressure but increased wear on bushings etc. might be a consideration. 

The biggest issue I am having is really cost and availability, and all of the B+B options are special order. I am not willing to wait 6-8 weeks for my car back, in the middle of a rather short car season! 

Thanks!

Chris 

scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 9:57am
If you happen to have a Hays clutch in there they offer a reasonable rebuild service, comes out great. Hays used to make their own covers, very rigid and thick I don't know what they use now. I wasn't impressed by Rams product the cover was made by a company names Spec very thin and I smoked the clutch very quickly but my car was a bit more horsepower. It is true clutches are a matter of preference. Good luck!
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 10:18am
Blondes vs brunettes, as has been said!

I appreciate the advice guys and it is all being taken into consideration. I have not paid much attention to clutches for a long time, so the pros and cons are good to know. 

As mentioned, I live in Canada, a long way from the border, and my choices are being driven largely by cost and availability. I would probably go with a B+B clutch if I had my 'druthers, but the problem is that it will cost me another $100+ dollars and take 6-8 weeks. I can get a decent quality diaphragm style clutch in about 3 days, same as the one that was in there. I would not mind a bit of a stiffer clutch, mainly just for the "old school" feel, but 6-8 weeks is almost all of the old car season where I live. 

Chris 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 2:40pm
Update, it looks like my choices are getting less and less. I just finished talking to McLeod direct, and they don't make a B+B style clutch any more. They have kit #75117 and it is a diaphragm type. RAM seems to be the only B+B option.

Chris 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 4:30pm
There's some good reading on clutches here: http://www.ramclutches.com/clutchuniversity1.html
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 4:30pm
Chris, I used a centerforce2 in another car for years of heavy abuse and it never let me down.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 4:31pm
ML must've had a change of clutch policy, as they stocked the B&B style as of a couple of years ago.

I guess the peeps are getting older and want a more "manageable" clutch pedal.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic