TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

clutch pedal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch pedal
    Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 5:06am
The bracket broke the weld on clutch pedal 69 amx how do you get pedal off, does it slip in or bolted on. It looks like a shaft on it but no bolt hole
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 9:38am
What bracket are you talking about?
Is it the flat plate the rubber fits over that broke off the arm?
If so then yes that arm does come off. There is a pivot pin at the top you can pull to drop out the clutch & brake pedals. Be careful as there are thin plastic bushings that can fall out.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
BADJAV2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 3:22pm
The bracket that is spot welded to clutch pedal holds the spring an rod to pedal. Sure hope easy to get to. Going to try put pic of pedal an braket.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 5:55pm
Sorry to say I don't have a picture of that side.

I cant get to the car right now to look but I think on the other side is a snap ring. You undo it and you can slide the pedal out.
It might be easier to pull the whole assy. out. 2 bolts on the dash and 4 at the firewall, clutch & brake linkage and I think you can work it out.

You ask how did I get mine out? I had the dash & column out as I was re-storing everything.

On mine it looks like the welds are across the arm & bracket not spot welded but could be wrong.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 6:28pm
Just the pedals themselves will come out of the bracket even with the bracket in the car. It's not difficult at all. Like fuzzface2 said, just remove the snap rings, or there may be a retainer bolt, depending on which year, slide the shaft out and the pedals drop. Don't forget to get replacement bushings for the shaft. Available at most AMC parts vendors and possibly elsewhere too.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
BADJAV2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 9:34pm
Thanks this helps alot. Now were the big spring is attached is that were it belongs I no the other end is attached under dash.
BADJAV2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 9:40pm
Just to let you know my first 4 speed jav had all a/t so when bracket broke look under dash an I do not know where any thing goes. So the more pics the better. Thanks.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 8:05am
Originally posted by BADJAV2 BADJAV2 wrote:

Thanks this helps alot. Now were the big spring is attached is that were it belongs I no the other end is attached under dash.
Yes that is where the big spring hooks to, that stud where the little spring is.
Because I am using a Ford WC T5 trany and a DF Centerforce clutch assy.to replace the AMC T10 parts the stock over center spring (the big one) would get the pedal stuck to the floor when you pushed it down.
To fix that I replaced it with that lite one and so far has worked but the only driving I have done was to turn the car around in the garage a few weeks ago. Trany has been in the car for a few years now.
Yea I don't work too fast
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 2:23pm
Yea, That is called the overcenter spring used on V-8 cars.
Diaphragm pressure plates don't need it. My Rambler does not have anything at all.

It's all 6 cyl linkage and I can't remeber if there is a place for one or not? Mine is running the 10.9" Big assed clutch and old school pressure plate and it does not bother me at all.

What I'm saying is two fold.
if you can't get it back in there it will probably be fine.
If you do get it back in there, be very careful, when the pedal goes down half way it goes over center and slams the pedal to the floor! If you have your fingers under the pedal when it does that you will teach any neighborhood kids a choice bunch of new words! So be careful.

EDIT: I build a Fraud,er,Ford Maverick in high school and went from an automatic to stick. When I pulled the clutch out of the junkyard car it about took my fingers out and I never could get it back in when I put it in my car. I wonder how it does go back in?

Edited by Wrambler - Jul/31/2014 at 2:26pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 10:19am
The reason I used the smaller spring was to get the throw out bearing off the pressure plate like it is when stock.
That gives you the free play needed also.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic