TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch Pedal/Linkage/Fork

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Pedal/Linkage/Fork
    Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 10:40am
Looking for some assistance/guidance regarding my 1970 AMX 390 with T-10 4 speed transmission.

I am in the process of reassembling my 1970 AMX after a full body and under carriage, suspension, rear end, brakes, etc. restoration. The motor and tranny have been rebuilt and are in the car. I've replaced all the clutch and shift linkage bushings, associated springs and installed a new clutch throw out rod (pushes the clutch fork - mine was not original it was a fully threaded rod and was longer than the one I purchased from Amark).

Here are a couple of questions I have:

1) Is the clutch pedal suppose to go to the floor/firewall and then back up into the upright position with a push of my hand?
Note: this is happening whether I have the linkage attached or not. I can push the clutch pedal towards the firewall with small effort, it depresses about half way and the Overcenter spring takes over and pulls it to the firewall. Also, works that way when I pull it back up (away from the firewall), the Overcenter spring takes over about half way up and returns the pedal to be aligned with the brake pedal, meaning all the way up.

2) The clutch fork that I installed, purchased from American Parts Depot, looks different from the one I replaced it with (the original is worn). The new fork is bent down, manufactured that way, as it comes out of the bell housing and is scraping at the bottom of the hole in the bell housing where the fork comes through. When I install the rubber dust boot around the fork and on the bell housing it hangs up and does not flow freely as it moves the throw out bearing. The fork that I removed is straight so I am assuming it would not hang up if installed.

Any insight on either of these items, or both, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg (user id = GPat)
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by GPat GPat wrote:

1) Is the clutch pedal suppose to go to the floor/firewall and then back up into the upright position with a push of my hand?
Note: this is happening whether I have the linkage attached or not. I can push the clutch pedal towards the firewall with small effort, it depresses about half way and the Overcenter spring takes over and pulls it to the firewall. Also, works that way when I pull it back up (away from the firewall), the Overcenter spring takes over about half way up and returns the pedal to be aligned with the brake pedal, meaning all the way up.

Yes, the overcenter spring will resist the pedal until it's overcenter (obviously) and push to the floor if the clutch linkage isn't connected to the fork & clutch assembly. When adjusted properly the pressure plate will push the pedal upwards until just past overcenter, the overcenter spring takes over from there bringing the pedal back fully upwards. Be sure to have the correct spring between the bellcrank lever and clutch fork or the clutch rod will fall out of the fork indentation.

2) The clutch fork that I installed, purchased from American Parts Depot, looks different from the one I replaced it with (the original is worn). The new fork is bent down, manufactured that way, as it comes out of the bell housing and is scraping at the bottom of the hole in the bell housing where the fork comes through. When I install the rubber dust boot around the fork and on the bell housing it hangs up and does not flow freely as it moves the throw out bearing. The fork that I removed is straight so I am assuming it would not hang up if installed.

The clutch fork should not scrape the bell housing window. The throwout bearing and pivot should keep it in the center of the window. Sounds like the pivot ball may have fallen off it's stud.

Below is the assembly diagram from the '70 TSM.
-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Jan/29/2018 at 6:18am
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 8:59pm
clutch fork could be a later one, they were a little off center, original straight.  
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 10:57pm
AMC used a number of different forks, and some are straight and some are offset in various ways. your new one needs to match the old one. as Rebel sez, the pushrod--->fork centers in the window, the play allows engine and trans to move around without putting pressure on the clutch fork.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

GPat View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 7:26am
All,

Thanks for the responses and advice/recommendations.  Looks like I'll be pulling the tranny back out to replace the clutch fork. 

Steve - the pivot ball is in place but the fork certainly is not riding on the stud pivot ball correctly.  It seems like the pivot ball indent on the fork is too deep or oversized.  The whole thing is off center all of the time, now that I've studied it more.

Very happy for your replies, I truly appreciate it! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 7:19pm
Just happen to have mine out. Snapped a pic for you.

-Steve-

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 9:45pm
though it's all for an early rambler american, there's pictures of three different AMC clutch forks at the URL below. you gotta scroll down about 75%, to where it says... "CLUTCH FORK"

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1961-Rambler-Roadster/transmission/index.html

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

GPat View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 7:34am
Steve,

Thanks for the picture, big help to me.  Your clutch fork looks identical to the one I replaced (straight with no downward turn as it leaves the bell housing), I still have the original/one that was there, but it's worn.  Is yours the original or replacement?  If it is a replacement, where did you get it from?

tomj,

Great link to the tranny information with pics of the forks.  All of this info is a huge help to me.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 4:11pm

Steve,

Thanks for the picture, big help to me.  Your clutch fork looks identical to the one I replaced (straight with no downward turn as it leaves the bell housing), I still have the original/one that was there, but it's worn.  Is yours the original or replacement?  If it is a replacement, where did you get it from?

tomj,

Great link to the tranny information with pics of the forks.  All of this info is a huge help to me.

It's original to a '70 Javelin.

-Steve-
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 5:06pm
If you know your local Chrysler parts person well, they still have parts for Jeeps from the late 70's but have to spend time looking it up.
You can try Jeep parts suppliers like Quadratec ... or the usual AMC suppliers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic