TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch Kit Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 9:50pm
Back in the early 70's when I built my first AMX racer we put in a Hays clutch and flywheel. The clutch & disc were the same part # as chevy with 3200lbs pressure for the 10.4" clutch. Back then everybody used this set-up with a 40lb flywheel.

Back then AMC was about the only cross shaft that would hold up to this stiff a clutch most others bent like a pretzel.

That much pressure was hard on the crank thrust bearing too.

The new low static pressure clutches really seem to be the hot ticket
now, they are much easier on drivetrain parts.

Remember the stock 390 clutch was about 2100lbs, we ran a 390 stock clutch for a whole season only wearing out one disc. Went to the Hays when we started running NHRA stock class.

Good luck,

Ron.

Edited by amxron - Nov/17/2018 at 10:14pm
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 10:22pm
I am a bit curious as to why everyone thinks that the RAM is such a heavy clutch. The 88499HDX kit is stiff for sure, but I have had no trouble with it, nor has the linkage, nor has any one of a number of people that have driven the car, including several friends wives that are not performance car folks at all. It can be feathered, power shifted and everything in between with no real issues. Bear in mind that the stock clutch(early 70's 401, according to PAS) from the factory was an around 2400-2600 pounds B+B unit, so at the time it was not that big of a deal. I wonder if we have not gone the same route with clutches that we have with overdrive and other features we have come to consider "essential" that no one at the time felt were a problem?

Chris  

Edited by ccowx - Nov/17/2018 at 10:26pm
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 5:15pm
Well... the McLeod Clutch Kit p/n 75224 has a bolt pattern of 6 holes on 12.5" centers that are equi-spaced around the perimeter which I think is what mid-70's corvettes had as I recall.  My flywheel has the extra set of bolt holes but they are not equi-spaced and are in three sets of 2 about 4 inches apart.  Since I do not want to mess with adding bolt holes, I sent it back.  I had low confidence that it was going to work anyway.  It was a very nicely made piece of equipment though--too bad McCleod is not supporting AMC applications anymore.  I even emailed them to ask about putting together a custom kit and got no response.

I ordered the RAM kit# 88772HDX instead of the 88499HDX that most people go with.  I like the larger diameter on the plate (although I doubt it will make much difference) plus RAM said that the throw-out bearing is a different diameter, but did not say what that diameter was.  Should be here next week so I will post an update

Thanks to everyone for all the information on this thread.  
You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 8:52pm
40 years ago I didn't have any problems with a 60 lb clutch pedal. The RAM clutch is likely very similar for the day. It's me that is not up to it any more, diaphragm clutch is just much more pleasure for street use and that is all I do any more.
Though the gas pedal still is easy to push!
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 10:23pm
And may that pedal on the right always be easy to push! Fair enough, we change and so does our purpose with our cars.

Thanks!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic