TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch Kit Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 9:51pm
Thanks for the images--engine looks great and clutch appears to fit nicely.

I probably should have investigated it a bit more--should know better than believing everything I read on the internet...

I ordered a McCleod kit p/n 75224 from Amazon that's supposed to be delivered Monday.  I hope it will fit as I have had good luck with their stuff in the past.  I also emailed them to see if they had any options for AMC's.  If not, I'll probably return it and order the RAM.

Thanks again,
Jack
You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Originally posted by AMXrated AMXrated wrote:

Thanks. 

I looked at this one but noticed one of the reviews from 8/2018 stated the following:

"...the hub of this friction disc is too wide in diameter to fit any of the AMC flywheels. A1/4X1/8' relief groove will have to be milled into your flywheel for clearance. after doing that this clutch will fit fine...Called RAM clutches for the correct part number ...said they were aware of the clearance issues as well as the throw-out bearing issues."

Did you not have any issues installing the clutch?

--Jack

No problems. As I recall the alignment tool they provide doesn't fit, maybe that had something to do with it.

-Steve-

What year is your car and engine size?  Are the bolt centers for your cover at 11.625"?  

My stock clutch plate is 10.95" so I wonder if I need the 88772HDX.  Wish manufacturers would also list bolt pattern and cover diameter as well.

Thanks.

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 1:01am
I used the RAM 88499HDX unit a couple of years back and was quite happy with it. They are aware of the throwout bearing issue because I told them about it! OK, I am sure I can not take full credit, but I had a discussion with them in August of 2016 and they did not seem aware at that time. 

The clutch is a Borg and Beck 3 finger and comes with the throwout bearing for a 69 and earlier. The 70 and up bearing is slightly smaller. If someone needs the part number for the 70 bearing I can find it in my notes. You can also find the older throwout bearing retainer and install that, allowing use of the supplied bearing, which is what "Performance American Style" recommends anyway. The supplied alignment tool also does not fit, but if you wrap it with electrical tape to increase the diameter it will work fine!
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:52am

Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Thanks. 

I looked at this one but noticed one of the reviews from 8/2018 stated the following:

"...the hub of this friction disc is too wide in diameter to fit any of the AMC flywheels. A1/4X1/8' relief groove will have to be milled into your flywheel for clearance. after doing that this clutch will fit fine...Called RAM clutches for the correct part number ...said they were aware of the clearance issues as well as the throw-out bearing issues."

Did you not have any issues installing the clutch?

--Jack

No problems. As I recall the alignment tool they provide doesn't fit, maybe that had something to do with it.

-Steve-

What year is your car and engine size?  Are the bolt centers for your cover at 11.625"?  

My stock clutch plate is 10.95" so I wonder if I need the 88772HDX.  Wish manufacturers would also list bolt pattern and cover diameter as well.

Thanks.

The engine in the photo is a 401 with a stock 401 flywheel. Had it in my Machine briefly. As luck would have it I sold that engine and still have the flywheel & clutch.

Just snapped a photo of it for you.

-Steve-

AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 9:32am
Thanks, Steve.  That is the same flywheel that came with my car.  Although my car was in pieces when I got it, so I suppose there is a chance that someone swapped it out at some point.  Or, did AMC use the same flywheel across all models/years?

Also, I contacted RAM and asked about part numbers since their catalog leaves out 71-74 engines except the 401.  Here is their response when I asked about a 72 360/T-10 combo making 350-400HP:

"The 88772HDX has the 10.95” plate and fits your bolt pattern.  I think that is a safe choice.

Thanks,

RAM Clutches, 803.788.6034"

The question I did not ask was if the throw-out bearing they include with that kit is the same diameter as the 88499HDX kit.  

As CCOWX noted above it sounds like the bearing in the 499 kit fits 69 and older models.  Perhaps since the 772 kit is for later models it has the smaller diameter bearing.  I'll send them an email to ask.

Thanks,

Jack 

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 11:45am
Rebel Machine,

Curious here, how much pedal pressure does the Borg and Beck style pressure plate have?

I have a diaphragm plate in the White70 and it has very little pedal pressure but still grips very nicely.

The Camaro I used to own had a Hays 3500lb. Borg and Beck plate that increased my left leg size somewhat, LOL  I had to re-enforce the bell-crank to handle the additional forces acting on it.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 12:46pm
I had a standard oem diaphram type replacement in my car too. Worked fine for spirited street driving and a few trips to the strip, but it gave out in 11,000 miles. The RAM clutch will hopefully last longer. 

As for the feel of the Borg and Beck type from RAM, it is slightly more pressure than the diaphram but not uncomfortably so. I think it may be around 2800 or so pounds? Certainly nothing that seems to endanger the linkage. I also found that the travel from full engagement to disengaged was noticably shorter. 

Chris 
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Rebel Machine,

Curious here, how much pedal pressure does the Borg and Beck style pressure plate have?

I have a diaphragm plate in the White70 and it has very little pedal pressure but still grips very nicely.

The Camaro I used to own had a Hays 3500lb. Borg and Beck plate that increased my left leg size somewhat, LOL  I had to re-enforce the bell-crank to handle the additional forces acting on it.

Interesting you ask.... a friend of mine in town tried out the 3-finger B&B clutch when I had it in and he thought it was pretty stiff so he ordered the diaphragm version for his Machine.

The B&B pedal doesn't bother me.

-Steve-

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 3:29pm
The wife's car had the three finger, 40 years later it was time for less leg work. The diaphragm Mcleod is about 40 lbs or approximately 2/3 of the three finger. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 4:28pm
For the fun I've been having with the White70, the diaphragm setup works great.
I can see where more clutch is needed when racing.
I thought there were diaphragm pressure plates available that have the same high clamping power as the B & B but less pedal pressure.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic