TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch disc for 63 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch disc for 63 Classic
    Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 12:52pm
Help! I cant find a clutch disc for my 63 Classic 196. Tsm describes it as 8.5 inch. APD just ran out of them and their source is now gone ☹️. Nothing available at other large vendors. Any suggestions, out of the way vendors and such?? AM I reduced to try and rebuild mine? I don't even know if 8.5 facings are available!!! Not the mention the pressure plate, although it might be easier to rebuild...
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 2:29pm
Ping/IM Pacerman here on the forum.
Joe has a recommended resource to have yours resurfaced.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by dlezama dlezama wrote:

Help! I cant find a clutch disc for my 63 Classic 196. Tsm describes it as 8.5 inch. APD just ran out of them and their source is now gone ☹️. Nothing available at other large vendors. Any suggestions, out of the way vendors and such?? AM I reduced to try and rebuild mine? I don't even know if 8.5 facings are available!!! Not the mention the pressure plate, although it might be easier to rebuild...

Tennessee Clutch and Supply, Nashville, TN.  They are reasonable on their prices, prompt turnaround, and they are friendly.   Google it for the phone number.

Also, I just parted out my 62 Classic wagon which had a new clutch with only about 1000 miles on it.  I'll sell you the clutch and pressure plate for $50 plus shipping.  Just let me know.  My clutch is the same small disk as yours I think.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 9:51pm
i just did a bunch of research on that particular clutch, and you are correct, it is simply no longer available. i used Tennessee CLutch & Supply to rebuild cores i'd packratted over the years. they do good work. it's just some guys in a shop, so you don't get big city "customer service". you'll be talking to the guys who do the work.

i'm happy with mine.

the "8 inch" clutch (it is about 8.5") was first introduced in 1932. it's very old.

last week i saw that ramblerparts.com or nashparts.com or one of them has that clutch, on an exchange basis. d

if the "world ends" there is a 199/232 flywheel, also small diameter, that is drilled for the 9" clutch. i have one, and it fits under the American bell. it is exactly the same height above flywheel surface to the throwout fingers.  i'm sure it will fit yours. 9" clutches are easier to get.

but i've been watching RockAuto.com for a year or two and in the last month or two most of the 9" clutches are gone. time to start stockpiling. usually before they disappear the prices plummet to clear stock. i missed that window apparently. used to get 9" brake frums for $10, $20.

Edited by tomj - Sep/07/2016 at 9:58pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

dlezama View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 8:32am
Joe, I'm ver interested. Is the pressure plate new or rebuilt? How did the clutch work? Is the disc new?
Tom, I find in eBay that jeep Willys used 10 spline 8.5 inch clutch discs, from 41 to 76, mostly for flathead sixes. We are talking same drivetrain for Classic here right? The fork and plate look different, but the disc looks identical.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 9:17am
I would say that the Jeep disk would work ( without actually seeing it.). My pressure plate was rebuilt by TN Clutch and I sent the clutch disk wit it so I assume it was rebuilt too. They both still look good with absolutely minimal wear. But if all you need is the disk, you might want to try one of those early Jeep disks. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dlezama View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2016 at 10:31am
Joe: 
PM sent!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2016 at 10:31pm
all driven discs look the same! the 8" clutch for the T96 and T14 is 10 spline x 1" diameter. that combination makes it hard to find. 10 spine x 1-1/16" is easy to find. 

dlezama View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2016 at 10:30am
So the Classic and American are 1 inch and the Jeep is 1 1/16?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 1:10am
the T96 and T14 have 1" x 10 spline input shafts. AMC adapted the Jeep T14 to the passenger car. the front is the same, but instead of the transfer case mating spline etc it's got that long tail housing and AMC-only main shaft.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic