TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch bolts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch bolts
    Posted: Jul/06/2020 at 2:18pm
I am installing a new clutch and flywheel on a 360 amc engine. T5 transmission. I have no original hardware. The flywheel doesn’t have dowel pins. I have been told that three holes on the clutch plate are larger than the rest. They are for special bolts that have a centring shoulder on them for alignment. I can’t find these bolts and was wondering if there’s another method.  
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2020 at 3:02pm
I've never seen a pressure plate with larger holes.   They did make shoulder bolts that raised the head so you could get a socket on it.  Newer bolts have a smaller head (like header bolts) so that you can get a socket on them.  Always use an alignment tool to get the clutch disc centered on the pilot bushing.

Take a look at the Ram clutch 490 set or ARP equivalent.  They're a 3/8-16 bolt.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Jul/06/2020 at 3:18pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2020 at 5:59pm
You may be confusing different information.
A flywheel or flex plate can only be bolted on one way, one bolt hole in the crankshaft is offset from the rest to ensure this happens for the counter balance on flywheel/flex plate.
The clutch and converter can be bolted on in any configuration as they are neutral balance.
Some will balance an engine with the flywheel/converter attached, this is extreme and only for race engines - high RPM.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 7:13am
IIRC, the OE bolts have a short shoulder so that there are no threads in the shear plane. There is a short drilled/untapped portion on the mating threaded flywheel hole before the threads begin. All the pressure plate bolts are the same for the engine.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

IIRC, the OE bolts have a short shoulder so that there are no threads in the shear plane. There is a short drilled/untapped portion on the mating threaded flywheel hole before the threads begin. All the pressure plate bolts are the same for the engine.

Good memory! And those bolts OE are very hard to find...

I think the original poster wanted to know about the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank.

Edited by 71SC360 - Jul/07/2020 at 7:57am
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 8:10am
Mr Gasket 910 pressure plate bolts, 3/8-16 x 1".
There are others, but several times the local supplier provided a substitute that was only 3/4" long that should not be used. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 9:31am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 9:32am

Just for diaphragm pressure plates by the description.  Don't know what you have.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 11:07am
The problem I've had with the Holley/Mr. Gasket 910 is the size of the bolt head (9/16") makes it difficult to get a wrench on (clearance to the pressure plate).   That's why I suggested the Ram clutch 490 set.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Splinter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 11:26am
I can’t find flywheel bolts anywhere in the region where I live. I was of going to a nut supply house and just getting grade 8 bolts but as Steve pointed out about the unthreaded shoulder and plane head are, that may not be a good idea. I have used bolts in good shape that are just too long interfering with the dust cover. I may just cut them down. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic