TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Close ratio steering box?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close ratio steering box?
    Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:55am
Has anyone used the Jeep Cherokee steering box.I've been reading it's a good salvage yard swap for inexpensive quick ratio steering.I'm looking at going this route or just bucking up to get my hornet's steering box converted to quick ratio.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:57am
A much better choice IMHO is a Chevy Z28 box or an early Trans Am box. bolt in.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 12:08pm
I'm thinking about using the '93 Grand Cherokee box I have in my Eagle. It appears to have been replaced so I don't know if it's close or variable ratio.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

A much better choice IMHO is a Chevy Z28 box or an early Trans Am box. bolt in.
I did that to my 70 AMX about 30-35 years ago. The only difference that I noticed was that the turning radius was messed up. I would have to back up, and try again to get in a parking place. I think that the T/A box has internal stops that have to be modified. This was before the internet, and I didn't know how to fix it, so I removed it.
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 12:28pm
Everything I have read "no first hand experience" states that only the 93-98 Cherokee box is quick ratio with the correct turning radius?The jist of it is it's the only box that works without needing 40 acres to make a u-turn.The sites I've been to mostly say not to use z28,buick gn,monte ss steering boxes because it will give same results Sonic Silver experienced.

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 12:32pm
I have a Z-28 box in my project and have never had any issues with turning radius.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 12:57pm
A little more on this. I am not an expert and do not have the exact data but I will say that back in the early 80's I put a Pontiac Trans AM WS6 box on my 70 AMX. I did not have a turning radius issue. This box as far as I remember was a 2.8 turn lock to lock box. Also the assist ratio is a straight ratio of about 16:1 rather than a Variable ratio. Result is a much quicker feel but a heavier feel. The stock 70 AMX box is about 3.6 turns lock to lock and has a high assist ratio. This with the gigantic steering wheel makes for a vague road feel, compared to the TA setup.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

A little more on this. I am not an expert and do not have the exact data but I will say that back in the early 80's I put a Pontiac Trans AM WS6 box on my 70 AMX. I did not have a turning radius issue. This box as far as I remember was a 2.8 turn lock to lock box. Also the assist ratio is a straight ratio of about 16:1 rather than a Variable ratio. Result is a much quicker feel but a heavier feel. The stock 70 AMX box is about 3.6 turns lock to lock and has a high assist ratio. This with the gigantic steering wheel makes for a vague road feel, compared to the TA setup.
The 70 AMX box is a variable ratio from 16:1 to 12.8:1 if my memory is correct. I could be wrong. I believe that it is 3.2 or 3.3 turns lock to lock. The T/A box that I used was from a 70 Trans Am. It may be different than your's.
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 2:17pm
Lot's of good info 

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334534
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 3:02pm
Good information Avery. good luck with what ever you choose.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic