TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clonk from rear suspension Ambo/Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clonk from rear suspension Ambo/Classic
    Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 2:50pm
In an earlier thread, I posted this pic, and TomJ kindly pointed out that the Panhard rod is not supposed to be bent.

Now, since I bought the car there has been an occasional clonk! from the left rear. I notice it when going round a bumpy right-hand corner, and I have the impression it happens when the axle is on the rebound.
So, as I put the axle back in today, I thought I'd straighten the Panhard, and perhaps that would make a difference to the clonk.

Difficult to see how it got so bent. The right end was 4" forward of where it should have been. Anyway, I put it back on the car, and out I go to test my rebuilt drive shaft.

Straightening it certainly made a difference to the clonk. It's much worse!!! Now, it clonks on pretty much all right-hand bends.
I suppose someone bent it to stop the clonking, and no I've started it up again. Sigh.

The bushes look OK, but I guess they can't be, and the rod is hitting the mounting.
Any recommendation where to get new bushes? Don't see anything in Galvins or Rock.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 6:20pm
hmm need better pics of the close-up situation at the mount ends. if you were hovering over the car looking straight dow (with x-ray eyes, now that it's installed) the panhard ought to be exactly parallel to the axle centerlines (obviously towards the back of the car, but horizontally, fairly in line with the axles centerlines, as determined by spring height).

i've had idiots are tire and repair shops jack my ramblers by every wrong place yo can imagine. the torque tube braces. front strut rods. you name it. not hard to imagine some idiot jacked the car to change rear tires etc by the panhard. oopsie. in 50 years, a lot can happen!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 6:25pm
maybe take the shocks out, get a long 2 x 4 and a concrete block etc to make a lever to lift/drop the car up/down, bounce it on the suspension, and get it to clunk in the driveway. and lay under there and get all zen for a half our and diagnose it while someone bounces your car for you.

would make a great out-of-context youtube video. cuz the travel on that rear suspension exceeds most current-day so-called "off road" pickups, and the coil springs have no friction, and so IT IS BOUNCY BOUNCE! careful, you could actually hop it off a spring with a bit of effort.

(the good parts of the torque tube design -- the long wishbone and end-of-transmission pivot -- i copied in my wishbone rear. it's wonderful and simple. and if you were to convert a 63/64 classic to open driveline, that would be the way to go.)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 3:45am
Ha!

The odd thing, it was bent forward, not upwards.

Now I nearly straightened it - not exactly - the alignment is pretty much parallel to the axle as viewed from above. Horizontally, the right mount is above the axle when the car is at rest.

I did notice that the tube is twisted a little, which I have no way to rectify.
Also noticed that the inner tubes of the bushes are only a little longer than the bushes themselves, so there is not much clearance between the ends of the rod and the sides of the mount. If possible, might see if I can prise the mount apart a bit and get a thick washer at each end of the tube to give more clearance. We have a 300 mile outing next week, would be nice if it didn't clonk. 300 miles in the UK means a lot of corners.

I had a Silver Shadow a couple of years. Rustbucket. One of the rear shocks punched through the rusted bottom of the spring cup, so effectively no shock that side. We rode 200 miles that way. The back went boing boing over the bumps, and at every dip in the road the spare wheel carrier hit the road with a great crash! and, as we were told, a shower of sparks.
Coil springs, no shocks, a whole new experience.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 4:26pm
Well, I bent the mounting, opened it up, and I inserted a thick washer at each end of the centre tube in the bush, a washer with a small od so it spaces the rod end off the mount.
See tomorrow perhaps if it helps.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 6:46am
If that doesn't do the trick just make a new one. It think the holes in the ends are 5/8", but might be 3/4". You can get rubber or polyurethane bushed rod ends those sizes, but they might be too thick for the factory mounts. If not you can get a piece of tubing and thread each end, allowing a bit of adjustment, or just thread one end and weld an end on the other.

It might have got bent because some joker just jacked the rear axle backwards rather than disconnect everything to look at the front u-joint. That was an accepted method for Chevys of the 50s with torque tubes -- but they used leaf springs and not coils like the Ramblers. No panhard rod on the Chevys either.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 2:31pm
It's a lot better. Most of the time, no clonk. Just occasionaly on a bumpy road. Hardly happened at all when we had the trunk/boot full of luggage. Not that it weighed much, but I wonder if it's something moving around in the trunk.
Perhaps the jack, but I wrapped that in a cloth.
Did the jack have a bag originally?

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 7:52am
Have you checked the upper shock bushes under the inspection plates? The luggage might be preloading the shock absorber.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 1:38pm
No, it never entered my mind.
Thankyou I'll have a look, although time is scarce just now as we have builders here, also I'm trying to get my Land Rover running.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 4:56pm
Top mount is fine. Vary hard to get at, but fine.
Really scratching my head here.
And since the car was jacked at the rear end for the annual Gubmt test yesterday, the clonk is worse. Perhaps luckily, when the tester drove it down the road, he didn't notice.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic