TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

CJ5 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ5 questions
    Posted: Nov/07/2009 at 11:44pm
ok, now that son is done beating on the DJ5 postal jeep, i have a question- is the frame useable on a 55 CJ5 ? i heard it will fit, and is an improvement due to being boxed front to back- i would like to replace the retarded steering on the 55, and if this frame will work, its ON!
Oroville, Ca
81cj8 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81cj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2009 at 9:03pm
What year is the DJ-5?  I'd think that the older Willy's 5 frames were a bit different from the newer 5's because of the gas tank location, the inside of the tub was different too under the seats.  Also if you have the CJ-5 frame and DJ-5 tub, get a buddy and throw that puppy on there.
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2009 at 11:39pm
the Dj is a 73, the Cj is a 55- both are still in one piece- wheelbase measures out correctly, though
i guess a weekend with a torch is in order- it damn sure isnt doing me any good this way ! LOL
Oroville, Ca
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2009 at 7:08pm
I'm thinking the 73 DJ would have an I-6 and be about 3" longer than the 55 CJ.  Look at the DJ front fenders, if the wheel well lip is right to the back edge of the fender, then you have the same wheelbase.  If there's a few inches of metal between the lip and back edge, then it's a "long fender", used in CJ's from 1972-up.  Jeep stretched the fenders/wheelbase to use the I-6.

Either way, the tub will bolt on but there may be clearance issues engine/firewall, or fan/radiator.

I used a 1959 DJ frame under my 1949 CJ2A.  Everything lined up perfectly except the motor mounts, which we were able to pull from the 2A frame and modify slightly to fit the DJ.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Dave View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2009 at 7:12pm

The '55 came with the 4-cyl F-head (I had '57 CJ5 & '54 M38A1). This is the shorter of the CJ frames. If the '73 DJ has the 6 cyl AMC & automatic, it may have been streched like AMC did to the CJ in '71. I am not sure as the Dj has no transfer case.  Best bet is to try to find a M38A1 - this was the military CJ5. These are supposed to have stronger frames than CJs, but all the rest of the mounts should work, and the body is the same configuration as your CJ5. 

AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2009 at 7:43pm
heres what i figured out
frame dimensions are the same- the six was installed by lengthening the grille- ever notice how the early mail jeeps look "bug eyed" ? thats because the grille shell is in front of fenders, allowing for the length of the six..., fenders are the same units as used on my 55 CJ-5 (dimension wise)
what this means is, i can use the frame to get the improved steering assy , but will still be stuck with either a V-8 or a V-6- the straight six wont fit without using the DJ grille shell- and i dont like the way it looks....

Oroville, Ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic