TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cj 7 spring shackles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cj 7 spring shackles
    Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 7:29am
Does anyone know the width to use for front heavy duty spring shackles? The mount is 2" as is the spring. A friend of mine had a shop install a pair and they're 2 1/2" with a cross brace. Tightened they're bowed in big time top and bottom and the entire spring rolls when turning and the thing is undrivable. I'll have pictures laer.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 8:16am
I would say they are the wrong ones.
Stock and I don't know what they are should fit snug to the frame & spring. Sounds like they are for a full size truck that use a 2.5 wide spring not the 2 inch yours has.
I have seen ones that are longer from hole to hole used to raise the frame to have a cross link so that is not the issue just how wide they are.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 5:40pm
Thanks Dave, this is on a friends Jeep that he bought. It's kind of a cluster $%#$. The guy that sold it to him through it together w/ a bunch of parts. I looked @ it today and wonder if the front axle was changed and may be a bit longer? I'll have him measure center to center on the shackle mount and spring indexing pin on the axle to verify.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by 70amcpwr 70amcpwr wrote:

Does anyone know the width to use for front heavy duty spring shackles? The mount is 2" as is the spring. A friend of mine had a shop install a pair and they're 2 1/2" with a cross brace. Tightened they're bowed in big time top and bottom and the entire spring rolls when turning and the thing is undrivable. I'll have pictures laer.

I think this must be the front you are refering to since OE rear springs are 2 1/2" wide on a CJ7. 

The heavy duty shackles with the brace are designed to be used with 2 piece poly bushings that have thrust surfaces on the side that take up the space between the shackle and the spring. He will need to replace the OE bushings with some of the proper urathane bushings like Energy or ?

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic