TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Chinese York Compressor Knock-offs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 5:58pm
I'm pretty sure I reversed the head on mine when I installed it in 2015, and it was working when I sold the car earlier this year. I did blow a front seal at one time, so maybe??
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award winner) SOLD
'70 Opel GT
'07 BMW 335i
'13 Ford Focus ST
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 6:00pm
That drilled oil passage being on the suction side is probably the key difference. It most likely provides a return path for any excess oil coming back through the suction side of the system.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 6:02pm
I keep this site bookmarked.

It has a pretty good listing of various T/CCI versions for comparing head styles.  I bought mine there, rather than go for a knockoff.

By the way, Yorks are pretty easy to rebuild. Lots of google out there on doing so. They're such power hogs, it's a shame, but they're tough little suckers.

A couple of other ways to find York info is through OBA (On-Board Air) forums, and through the truck or fleet supply channels. There are billions (ok, maybe millions) of Yorks riding around on trucks, so plenty of info out there.  Dozens of variations in head and fitting combos, but the Tube-O variety seems a little hard to find. That's what was on my Gremlin factory AC, and it's possible to find. Problem is, they seemed to be a little prone to leak vs O-ring style.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

That drilled oil passage being on the suction side is probably the key difference. It most likely provides a return path for any excess oil coming back through the suction side of the system.

That passage is what's generally referred to when people discuss changing the head around. 
Frankly, I wouldn't - because there are other ways of making things work. 
And like has been recently said - these are all over the place from quality sellers, people who rebuild or restore them. They are tough. Jeep people have been using them for air pumps for years.
And yes, there's a lot of them on TRUCKS.
Unless screwed with, they rarely actually fail other than seals, etc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic