TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cherokee backfire problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 9:47pm
I have a 1974 jeep j20 that is all factory with an amc 360 the only mod is an Elelbrock 1805 with the same problem. I have changed the fuel pump  and changed the points, dist. cap, and the rotor. I did not check the timing chain or the valves yet but I will. there is also a slight tapping that might be a piston or a valve.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 2:22pm
I'm not sure what '8 lbs. low' means with regards to a vacuum check, but on my stock 360 V8 engine at idle vacuum is 18-19 in.Hg. You can do a lot with a vacuum gauge and they're relatively inexpensive to buy a good one - I'd suggest getting one and reading up on how to use it. You can diagnose a host of engine issues and even tune it up using one.

In your case, if you truly have low vacuum, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere, which is causing a lean condition and may be creating the conditions for the backfire. Although retarded timing (stretched chain, slipped harmonic balancer) may be causing a low vacuum reading as well.

Edited by sweatlock - Feb/26/2017 at 6:42pm
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 9:50pm
You have not stated the miles on the engine but if that is the original timing set in the engine I would be pulling the distributor to check for any slack on the timing chain. The nylon gear does not age well and the "silent" chain is know to stretch. At xxxxx miles on a Jeep or near 40 years that may have seen towing or other abuse it's not worth the risk of that chain failing. I'd check it regardless.
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 8:34pm
Unhook the vacuum advance on distributor maybe the the pickup plate is twisting changing the dwell or distributor bushing could be bad   Take a peek at the heat riser if it's stuck it could be causing troubles. If it has an egr valve a stuck heat riser could make it push open leaning out the charge
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 9:03pm
Simple check, take off the distributor cap and rotate the crank back and forth. If the crank moves and the arm does not then you should be taking a good look at the timing chain.
Bought and scrapped running 360, hole through #1 piston, missing ring lands on 5, 7, 4 and melt marks on 2 and 6.
If the chain is original and you have done regular maintenance now may be the time for a lower cost refresh. Cam, chain, hone, rings, bearings ...
Better then waiting for a new long block. It's surprising what these engines can live through!     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic