TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Check Valve in Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 9:15pm
The  M6901 looks like the one on my AMX. Might be the one I need. Amazon shows it for $110 supposed to be brand new and is sold and shipped by a third party.   
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 2:07am
Looks like in the past someone has already put in a different pump so you don't have to worry about originality. 
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Doug in New Freedom Doug in New Freedom wrote:

The  M6901 looks like the one on my AMX. Might be the one I need. Amazon shows it for $110 supposed to be brand new and is sold and shipped by a third party.   

No, that's a Chevy pump.  I used the pic to show you the bodies were almost identical.  But look at the pump levers, Chevys are pumped with a pushrod but ours are pumped with an eccentric on the cam.

The M4656 is pretty much a straight swap for you.  For about $40 you can be driving without the issue...while you consider whether you want to still look for that factory-correct pump or whatever.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
nbarr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 6:26am
It's pretty easy to rebuild your existing pump. Kit is available from Then and Now Automotive.
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 4:43pm
Thanks nbar, I'd like to take a shot at rebuilding mine except I still don't have, or was able to find, the exact Model Number for it. So, how would I know what kit to get, and not knowing if this is or is not, the original pump? 

Thanks Midnight clarifying that the m6901 (Chevy) Pump arm is different, so that a no go.. I was wondering about the arm. The only concern about the m4656 is according to the Carter Web Sight is it says  This part does not fit the selected vehicle. Confused
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
nbarr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 6:45pm
Doesn't matter. Call them up and they'll tell you what to look for on casting #'s so you get exactly what you need. Not a difficult job and let's face it, any 50 year old rubber part is essentially whipped, whether it is sitting on a shelf or soaked in fuel.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 2:12pm
Up Date......I call tech Support at Carter and asked what Pump for my '68 AMX. He looked it up and said M4656. I asked why the web says it won't fit a '68 but fits the '69-'70. I said there was no info for a '68 AMC AMX. He took a minute and said....We probably didn't know they made an AMX in  '68! Bottom line is I now think the M4656 will work, even though I don't think it has the fuel filter in the pump. Explains the confusion on my part.

I ordered the M4656. Found it on AMAZON.COM for $ 50 w/free shipping, and should have it next week. As for the Filter, I'll add one up at the Carb. When I pull the old Fuel Pump I'm going to take the screw off the bottom to see if there's a filter in there. Could be it was clogged up causing the carb issues.

Talking to Homer, an AMC friend he told me that he's seen fuel pumps go bad and wind up pumping gas into the Oil which caused the engines to freeze up!!!!! Yikes, I think I'll change the oil.

Edited by Doug in New Freedom - Jul/16/2017 at 2:15pm
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 3:26pm

You might want to take a look at this thread of mine from a few months back, as the M4656 (and other non-Carter brands) were the subject of it.  My experience has been that most current aftermarket pumps, including Carter (but not McRobb), are now made by a company called AAC and they all seem to have this problem.  

If your new pump leaks oil, that's why.

FWIW, just this morning I installed a $35 NAPA electric pump on to the inside of the frame rail, near the gas tank outlet. The only way anyone would ever see it is to lie on their back under the rear diff and look up. I have mine hooked to a switch and plan to run the electric pump only after the car has been sitting for an extended time, or (my main reason) if/when I get a vapor lock.  I thought I might have to remove the mechanical pump, but the car seems to run fine, even though the electric pump is in-line and switched off.  As luck would have it, I've been trying to force it to vapor lock ever since I finished the install just to see if the fix works, but the car is running perfectly, even though it's 100 degrees F here today.  This might be a solution for you too if your hard start issues continue with the new mechanical pump,

p.s. Don't throw your old pump away, especially if it's an original Carter. They're better than the repops and easy to rebuild.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/16/2017 at 3:37pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 5:05pm
Thanks CamJam,
That was a lot of good info. and the replies to your posts covered all of it. I was going to go Electric Fuel Pump last resort if things didn't go well and may still put one on as you did. I guess when the new M5646 arrives I should drill and enlarge the vents to 1/8" and hope for the best.

I think some where in all the info I've seen I saw Mexico somewhere pertaining to point of manufacturer but not sure. Might be why Carter uses the M in the part number? Ouch
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 3:13pm
IMPORTANT INFORMATION! I need to get this out to ya'll.

I bought the Carter M4656 Fuel Pump recommended, and also checked with the Carter Tech again who told me that was the one for AMC 343's 69 -70 according to their records. 

I removed the  the Old Fuel Pump today and found on the rear side mounting, that I couldn't see until now, the original CARTER Number for this Fuel Pump. It is #0-2208 and it has a different Pump Arm that does not have the same dimensions as the M4656. The older 0-2208 pump's arm that goes into the engine is a 1/4 inch longer and the pump movement (action) is greater then the M4656. I'm reinstalling the original 0-2208 pump as I believe that possibly the M4656 might work but I don't think it can pump as well. I Called the Carter Tech angain and he was clueless, said the 0-2208 pump was discontinued and no records for a '68 343 pump.

All this being said, the '68 343ci used in the early AMX's (my engine tag says it's a March Engine) used a 0-2208 Carter Pump which was later discontinued apparently. Could be they had some left in '68 and once gone switched for some reason?

Bottom line is my Fuel Pump is the Original that came on the car that has 63K Original Miles. The pump works well and only reason I wanted to change it was, we think the Check Valve isn't stopping gas from returning to the gas tank when engine's off. Once the Show season has ended, in late October, I'll remove the original 0-2208 Pump again and send it out for a rebuild, then reinstall it next year in the early Spring.

SEE PICTURES IN NEXT POST

Edited by Doug in New Freedom - Jul/24/2017 at 7:32pm
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic