TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Check Valve in Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 5:20pm
Checked the Gas Tank Vent hose and it's good, air passes easily.

I've been trying to find a replacement Fuel Pump and with the major suppliers on line the info is showing there's plenty for the '69s with the 343 but when I did the "check for your specific application for a '68 I'm getting a reply "will not work with your application" ? Not sure I know why. Also to get one from some of the AMC parts suppliers they want to receive the original as a core before they will ship a refurbished Carter Fuel Pump. I'd like to keep the original one I have. Anyone have a good source for these?
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 10:51pm
EBay lists Carter and Airtex fuel pumps. Just search for "AMX fuel pump". The RobbMc pumps are supposed to be very good but expensive. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/amc550.html

DWR
1968 AMX

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Doug in New Freedom Doug in New Freedom wrote:

Checked the Gas Tank Vent hose and it's good, air passes easily.

I've been trying to find a replacement Fuel Pump and with the major suppliers on line the info is showing there's plenty for the '69s with the 343 but when I did the "check for your specific application for a '68 I'm getting a reply "will not work with your application" ? Not sure I know why. Also to get one from some of the AMC parts suppliers they want to receive the original as a core before they will ship a refurbished Carter Fuel Pump. I'd like to keep the original one I have. Anyone have a good source for these?

1968 has a different pump with the filter inside the bottom of the pump. Different fuel inlet as well that will not line up with other years metal fuel lines. Do you have electric or vacuum wipers? I have vacuum wipers on my 68 Javelin with a 290. Being the dual action pump with the vacuum booster in it I had to send it to Then And Now Automotive in Mass, USA to get it rebuilt. I had it back here in Winnipeg in 11 days round trip. I was originally going to send it to Arther Gould Rebuilders but he said their fuel pump guy was on vacation and I could not wait the extra 2 weeks for him to get back.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/

http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/

Edited by maximus7001 - Jul/11/2017 at 1:07am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 11:02am
Thanks Max,
That confirms that the '68's Fuel Pump is unique and why I can't find a new fuel pump one online. Mine is an Electric Wiper type not the Vacuum Wiper. I'm OK driving the AMX with the current pump, the problem is the gas check valves leaking gas back to the tank when it isn't running. It's not a major thing. I'm going to wait until after the AACA Hershey Meet in October, then pull the pump and either send it to one of the re-builders, or use it for a core to get one that's already rebuilt. The AMC Parts Suppliers want a core sent to them before shipping a replacement. The cost looks to be around $ 150 to $ 200 plus core from the AMC Parts guys I've bought from in the past. Thanks for the leads on the two re builders you mentioned. They probably would be less expensive and I'll request a quote to make my final decission?

Doug
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 11:21am
You can use a $40 Carter M4656 if you aren't worried about high flow or an exact replacement.  Just use whatever 1/8" fittings you need for your existing fuel lines.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 11:46am
Thanks Midnight. I just goggled CarterM4656 and it comes up, but when I follow the procedure and enter Make Model and  Year I get the same reply "This will NOT work with your vehicle". I'm learning towards to getting the one I have rebuild. The other question is if the one I have is not the original Model Carter. I can't find any thing saying it is. I looks similar the the M4656 except the top of the casting is slightly different? On the bowl on the bottom there's a faint # 41*.52 and on the top is a faint #315**3?  The 5 might be a 6 or 8. 

Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 2:13pm

Thanks Midnight. I just goggled CarterM4656 and it comes up, but when I follow the procedure and enter Make Model and  Year I get the same reply "This will NOT work with your vehicle". I'm learning towards to getting the one I have rebuild. The other question is if the one I have is not the original Model Carter. I can't find any thing saying it is. I looks similar the the M4656 except the top of the casting is slightly different? On the bowl on the bottom there's a faint # 41*.52 and on the top is a faint #315**3?  The 5 might be a 6 or 8. 

My 290 is a '66, this is the fuel pump I'm using.  My guess is it will work with any 290/343/390 or 304/360/401 provided 35gph is enough fuel and you are willing to change a fuel line or fitting with the pump.

Let me know, I'd be happy to send a pic or two.  I am running fuel hose from the fender to the pump, and a hard line from the pump to the carb (which looks sharp).

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 7:08pm
Here is a picture of the bottum of my existing Fuel Pump.

Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 7:32pm
Here is picture of the Top of my Fuel Pump. There is stamped in the arm Made in USA but you can't see it here. Any one know if this is a Carter?
Thanks Doug

Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 8:13pm

Here is picture of the Top of my Fuel Pump. There is stamped in the arm Made in USA but you can't see it here. Any one know if this is a Carter?
Thanks Doug

This is the M4656

This is a Carter M6901 (Chevy)

So it looks like you probably have a Carter.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic