TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Check Those Bias Ply's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check Those Bias Ply's
    Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:56pm
Open your Glove Box and be sure and check the pressure in.....
"Your Bias PlysBig smile"....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:16pm
Those are fiberglass belted bias, actually. 

Bias tires are more sensitive to inflation pressure than radials. Running them low on pressure causes them to heat up more than a radial would and the heat can damage the tire. 

I'm surprised that sticker doesn't say to increase inflation pressure by 4 PSI for sustained speeds over 60 MPH. Many stickers said to do that and it was common knowledge and convention to do so to keep the tires from heating up at high speed. I leave mine at the 60+ MPH pressure setting all the time so I can exceed 60 MPH any time I want without worry, I just deal with a little harsher ride at low speed. Still rides smoother than radials though. 

People stare are me funny at gas stations when I walk around the car and "feel" the temperature of each tire. You can pick out a bias tire low on air very quickly that way. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 8:11am
I like that inflation sticker...I don't ever remember seeing it on any late Javelin we have had...but we have never owned a 74 Model.....Bob Reno in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I leave mine at the 60+ MPH pressure setting all the time so I can exceed 60 MPH any time I want without worry, I just deal with a little harsher ride at low speed. Still rides smoother than radials though.

Bias tires 'can' roll pretty smoothly,
as long as you don't count the first couple miles while they're working out the flat spots.

Short trips on any of the cold bias ply tires I've had were a good way to mix paint. LOL

Thud Thud Thud
Whuuuuump-Whuuuump Whuump-Whuump Whump-Whump-wmp-wmp wp wp wp wp wp
after the first couple stop lights they'd end up half way between square and round and they would start to get better. Smile

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 11:36am
They want the car to have a soft ride for the new owner.No care about wear or tread life.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 1:11pm
Actually those were the tire maker recommendations and those were the numbers we all used back then when we sold tires. It was only with radials that the numbers went up......... tires lasted as long as they were going to last considering their construction and rubber types back then, so those numbers are totally accurate and exactly the numbers recommended by the likes of Cooper and others we sold back then.
I spent many days putting new tires on, doing balance, alignment and more to make money for college and that sticker sure brings back memories. 

FSJ - note the bottom line "see manual for more information" or words to that effect........ LOL

But seriously, we drove pretty good sustained speeds with those pressures, no problem. 
I guess everyone is so used to radials and new technology, new WHEEL and TIRE sizes, new rubber compounds, that those stickers look foreign or all wrong. 

I eventually did convert my first Javelin to radials - and had to learn new pressures and other things when we first started selling them, but I put many many miles on the old school tires and honestly never had a flat, never had a problem. I had a couple of slow leaks - but I can recall plugging one, and patching the other - back when I also did that sort of thing.

Now if you want TIRE fun - work in a shop close to an Oscar Mayer plant - and get a call that they have an inside rear dual flat on their hair truck......... and no, the truck isn't empty.................
I also worked on bud wheels and other fun stuff - while getting dripped on............ 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Bias tires 'can' roll pretty smoothly,
as long as you don't count the first couple miles while they're working out the flat spots.

Short trips on any of the cold bias ply tires I've had were a good way to mix paint. LOL

Thud Thud Thud
Whuuuuump-Whuuuump Whuump-Whuump Whump-Whump-wmp-wmp wp wp wp wp wp
after the first couple stop lights they'd end up half way between square and round and they would start to get better. Smile

Only tires with Nylon body cords flat spot like that. Nylon was mainly used on heavy duty tires like truck tires, snow tires, mud and off road tires, and some high performance tires because Nylon was the strongest and stiffest body cord material available. Standard passenger car tires were Polyester or Rayon, which are not as strong or stiff but don't flat spot.

I've heard that some fiberglass belted tires can develop flat spots too, but I've never had a set of fiberglass belted tires so I cannot say. 

My Jeep is on Nylon tires. They develop a flat spot when they sit. Works like a natural parking brake. They take a few miles to heat up enough to become round again but after that they are very smooth until they sit long enough to cool off again. The colder it is outside, the sooner they will flat spot and the slower they will become round again. It doesn't really bother me. Having a little bumpy ride for the first few minutes is no big deal.

My other cars have Polyester tires and they are as smooth as could be all the time, even after sitting in really cold weather. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 2:00pm
FSJunkie is right. It's the belt material that causes the thumping. 

My family owned a Western Auto store back in the 70s. We sold a lot of tires. After having to refund a customer who had bought a set of nylon truck tires, I always made it a point thereafter to tell anyone who wanted them that they would thump when cold. It's a tough material though, so good for work trucks.

Back in those days Michelin was one of the few companies making radials. I remember when the American manufacturers first started making them, and we put the first set we received on my mother's '73 Javelin. They made a huge difference in the ride and handling, and I've never looked back. I have some Polyglas bias ply on my AMX, but only for show. I have no desire to run them regularly any more than I would want to go back to using wooden wheels.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 2:42pm
I still won't trust old tires. IMO Old tires are for car shows only and not for driving on interstates or for any distance. You're just asking for tire failure and the possibility of a wreck and injuring innocent people.

I replaced the BFG's on my AMX recently because they were almost 10 years old. I went with repro poly's and LOVE the way they look! 

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 3:03pm
I can blame my last wreck on bias ply tires.
49 years ago I borrowed my Dads car to go get my flight physical before I joined the Army for flight training.  I was working on my own car, my 64 American,  and decided to take my Dad's 67 Falcon for the about 600 mile trip,  one end of Va to another.
It was about this time of year in 1969.  I was driving on the 4 lane during a  summer rain storm. Wasn't speeding, but was probably too fast for conditions.
I changed lanes in the middle of a slight curve, while driving over a bridge joint, the car whipped around faster than I could correct, and slid off the road backwards, into a rock bank.
 That rain and my road actions would have been no problem in my Rambler, it had radials, and I had been driving on radials about 2 years at the time.  But my Dad's car had bias ply tires,  which I didn't allow for.

As it was we finished the trip any how,  but couldn't get into the trunk to get our luggage, because the whole rear end sheet metal was crushed around the trunk lid. We both passed the flight physical, and both joined the Army on October 31, ( Halloween ) 1969.
That was my last highway accident,  I can't blame it completely on bias ply tires, but they were definetly a factor.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/22/2018 at 3:12pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic