TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cheap but good rated tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blitzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap but good rated tires
    Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 2:15pm
Hey all,

There are some tires on sale now that seem to be very good for the price. Good reviews etc.
Treadwear: 520 Traction: A Temperature: A

Dextero DTR1, I put these on my car and they feel real nice so far. Need to test in the rain still but I have heard they do well. I used 195/70R14 91S from Walmart. Only $39.00!

I had a heck of a time ordering them though, the Qty kept jumping around to everything BUT 4 or above. Took some weeks of calling back and forth and verifying with Dextero themselves to actually get four all ready(and now I'm steady(Led Zep LOL)). There just happened to be problems with their system when I was trying to order etc. that they seem to have resolved now.

At this time of posting there are currently 4 left it says.
So if someone needs a decent tire on a tight budget this seems good!
Peace.

1972 AMC Hornet Sportabout
Not the one in the Avatar though, not as good looking unfortunately LOL.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 10:34pm
Nice find. At that price point, mounting, balancing and new valve stems are a substantial add-on.
Cheap does not necessarily mean that they are no good. I once had a pickup truck and I put a set of Pep Boys 4 for $99 tires on it. The truck was a junker that I bought for $500 and I later sold it for $900, partly because the tires were in such good shape.
I have a couple of cars that I seldom drive, so I am thinking about going to tires in that price range. Supposedly tire safety is questionable after 10 years, so installing tires that, given the miles driven, would last for 100 years doesn't make sense.

Edited by 6768rogues - Oct/19/2016 at 10:39pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Blitzman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blitzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2016 at 12:47pm
Hi Rogue n All,

Yeah especially if you do not do heavy hard driving something like this could suit well if you do not need a higher performance tire, the ratings and reviews I have seen seem to point to them being dependable and safe, and well behaved.

They have a more subtle transition from tread footprint to sidewall than some and may be less prone to trying to grab certain lines in the road as you transition lanes say on the freeway. They felt very smooth on the freeway and nice and grippy in general. Many tires have a more hard edge. Not sure how the sidewalls compare to a bit more expensive or performance tire.

They also produce the GT Radial line.

I had heard that they were manufactured at a plant used by Goodyear but I don't see that to be true.
Here is more info on them:

Dextero tires are tires that are manufactured by a company named Giti Tire, and they are popular due to being sold at Walmart locations. The Giti Tire company is based in Singapore and was the 10th largest tire company based on revenue in 2014, according to Tyre Press.

MORE:

As of September 2015, the only U.S.-based division of Giti Tire is a research and development center located in Akron, Ohio. This facility is responsible for the development of all new products for North America, as well as for the replacement of market customers. Dextero tires may be produced in the United States in the future, as Giti Tire announced a plan to build a full-service manufacturing facility in South Carolina.

even more:

Giti Tire's roots go back to 1951, beginning with bicycle tire and inner-tube manufacturing in Indonesia, and later producing bias tires for passenger and commercial vehicles.[4] The company entered China in 1993 and established a joint venture with Anhui Tire Factory, an independent third party for the production of bias tires. In 1998, Giti established proprietary sales and distribution centers in various locations, completing manufacturing facilities in Fujian two years later to serve new passenger car tire (PCR) production. Since then, the company has expanded further internationally, opening offices and distribution centers around the world.[5]

In 2005, Giti acquired a 22.5% stake in Gajah Tunggal, an Indonesia-based tire manufacturer listed on the Jakarta Stock Exchange, which owns and operates the largest integrated tire manufacturing facilities in Southeast Asia. Giti's interest in Gajah Tunggal has since increased to approximately 49.7%, as of 1 April 2011.[6]

In June 2014, the company announced plans to build a USD $560 million production plant in South Carolina, USA, its first factory outside of Asia.[7]

In February 2016, Giti was named Automotive Supplier of the Year and Hardlines Supplier of the Year by Walmart USA.[8]

So they are definitely not fly by night and have been around awhile and are big with a good rep. :0)
They do not seem to be in the group of poor quality Chinese tires makers.

One company to avoid is: Ling-Long or LingLong(and any subsidiary). Tires from that plant are said to be some of the WORST around, unsafe etc. Crosswind I think is made by LingLong.

I admit I went to these cuz I thought they were made by a plant here but from the reviews and feeling the rubber AND the smell of it, cheaper rubber has more of a fumey smell, these smell like good rubber... Yum! LOL. I think I will be happy with these. The rubber feels nice and grippy softish more like a performance tire.

The best to Yas and be safe!
Peace!

Edited by Blitzman - Oct/20/2016 at 12:50pm
1972 AMC Hornet Sportabout
Not the one in the Avatar though, not as good looking unfortunately LOL.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 1:10pm
Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II.

Hankook Optimo H724 is good.

Kingstar Centum SK72.

Kumho Solus KR21.

All are white-wall radial touring tires designed for a smooth, quiet ride and long tread life along with all-season performance. I've has several sets of the Uniroyal and like them a lot.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
cmm542000 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmm542000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 12:25pm
Hello, I was just searching for info on these tires and ran across this. Thought you might be interested.

https://www.vehicletire.com/Consumer-Complaint/Dextero/Touring-DTR1 - https://www.vehicletire.com/Consumer-Complaint/Dextero/Touring-DTR1
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 12:34pm
Some parts on a car IMO deserve the extra few bucks. Those include the only part of a car that contacts the ground. It can cause the most damage if it fails or fails to keep traction with the ground. 

That being said I would trust these over 40 year old bombs anyday!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 12:52pm
People cry that you can not find ANY 13 14 or 15 inch tires.ANY.The Walmart by my house has all three sizes on display right on the floor.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 2:33pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 2:54pm
Maybe they should just rebrand them as MaypopsLOL
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

People cry that you can not find ANY 13 14 or 15 inch tires.ANY.The Walmart by my house has all three sizes on display right on the floor.

True, but the days of the 9.00-14 are long gone. Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic