TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Charging wiring question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 9:06am
The TSM - Technical Service Manual - is about the best you will get and even they aren't perfect. I've seen some cases of the schematic not matching the actual wiring in the vehicle because the TSM was put together based on plans - and sometimes things changed in production. In those cases TSM supplements were published but those aren't as easy to find for all years that they came out. 
So - you do the best you can with the tools at hand. 
I have a book of nothing but wiring and vacuum diagrams for 60s and 70s that's really good, as well as shelves of the biig Mitchell books (not the book store type - the subscription pro type) and a number of TSMs, but I lack a lot of the early 60s TSMs. I have 63 but that's for Rambler Classic and Ambassador - American was a different book and I don't have that. I am missing 64, 65 and 66. 
So I MAY be able to fill in some gaps - maybe.
DC327 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 6:14pm
I have the repro Tsm, but it's missing the schematics, like they were torn out prior to printing. My Marlin one was the same... without the wiring. Guess it's supposed to force you to buy it but they don't offer it.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2019 at 11:03pm
the schematics in most or maybe all TSMs are multi-sheet foldouts. not standard A sized pages. PDF is capable of multiple and mixed page sizes in a document, but most people don't bother to assemble them. they're e4ither chopped out like here, or something dumb like shrink to fit.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 9:26am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

the schematics in most or maybe all TSMs are multi-sheet foldouts. not standard A sized pages. PDF is capable of multiple and mixed page sizes in a document, but most people don't bother to assemble them. they're e4ither chopped out like here, or something dumb like shrink to fit.

Shrink to fit should be outlawed. I hate that with schematics, etc. 

I sometimes cut sections out as far as images I want so I can ENLARGE them and show the specific area in question because I don't give a rip about headlights and certain other wiring when showing the charging system......... but you should see what I've done with some of the Eagle and Jeep TSM wiring diagrams I have - I used my scanner and copier and printer and took a single page from the TSM and made it cover something like three sheets of 8.5x11 paper and made BIG diagrams. I used to take them to work and enlarge to HUGE sizes on the big commercial copiers they had. A single TSM page may occupy 5 sheets of paper. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 11:23am
Looks like orange with tracer comes from the cluster - so that's likely the one that handles the GEN light, soon to be ALT light. So the orange with tracer at the generator regulator connections should be the one to handle the light......... 
DC327 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2019 at 7:20am
Fantastic find vinny thank you! Thanks to all of you for the insight
DC327 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2019 at 7:27pm
Update. Finally had some time to go pick up the voltage reg. 4 wires, black, orange, green, and yellow. Also picked up a cable to use as power from alt 

So far, I've run green to field, and used the cable to go from power to the batt side of the solenoid.  

Some confusion, as my alt is a bit different from the pics above. Field is the same, but there is no ground terminal there. The power terminal (bolt) is on its own platform?? That comes slightly off the back of the body of the alt. With the power terminal, is a second terminal (spade),  and a third which is a bolt terminal. Then, 45 degrees away, are 2 bolt terminals that I was told was ground.  Originally the auto elec. guy told me the spade on the platform was D+, which is why I had said that earlier. I'm thinking the spade would be for the orange, and black to the ground which is by itself directly across from the power terminal ...

Pleas excuse my stupidity when it comes to correct terminology... as my experience with alternators and related is limited to sending it out for rebuild, and replacing, not starting from scratch.  Any help is interesting and appreciated!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2019 at 8:13pm
This is exactly why I HATE REMAN ALTERNATORS And will never ever ever even hint or suggest that anyone use one. 
IF this is truly for a 71 and later - it means they put the WRONG brush cover on it - they left off the metal plate that has the ground spade connection.
That's the simple part - you can connect a ground wire to one of the negative diode studs on the "right" side of the alternator.......

HOWEVER, your description of the output?
Ouch - sounds like it has an isolation diode? You say something like "its own platform" and that's not a good sounding thing.
If that's the case, then you can't use the regulator you bought for it - and the alternator would actually be for a 70 or earlier - although without the ground connection, technically a 69 or earlier. 

It's also possible that it's TOTALLY screwed up and is a 71 and later with an isolation diode on it - we must sort that out because that's just plain WRONG and will cause you nothing but headache and trouble. 

So, we either need a photo of the back of your alternator, or, need to compare it to these pictures - 

Is it like either of these?

Edited by billd - Oct/01/2019 at 8:16pm
DC327 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2019 at 8:55pm
Wow, your good. It's the first one, but without the ground spade by field. I had it tested and its good, so I'd like to use it. But if it doesn't match the regulator, I'll switch one or the other. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic