TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Celebrity Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celebrity Rambler
    Posted: Aug/08/2017 at 9:31pm
Well, if you have seen some of the episodes of Barn Find Hunter with Tom Cotter produced by Hagerty Insurance, you have seen the car below.  It is featured very briefly as he walks by it in the lead-in footage to several of the episodes.   It was videoed as he toured an old time hobbyists lot and warehouse in Lodi, CA a couple of blocks from Galvin's Rambler Parts.   It is a club owned car of the Pacific Gold Rush Rambler Club.  It came to my house two weeks ago.  The car has a fresh rebuilt cast iron 195.6 and a fresh T-35 tranny.  There is a new carpet kit to install.   The engine runs but the car won't move, so I and some club members will be diagnosing the problem and reassembling the interior, and cleaning the car up for sale.  It is an AC car.  Don't know yet if we will get the AC working.  The car is recognizable in the Hagerty video by the orange wheels (Chevy orange I think).  I don't know how that happened, but it might change before we sell it.  Wish us luck.  This is intended to be a short (hopefully) sweet project.

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 4:38am
They could do a resto show from your house Joe. You've moved along well with the 64 and your Gremlin. Pacer looks started. You've got a AMX in there somewhere.

That's a nice 62. Are you going to re-spray the top too? What channel airs the show? Never heard of it.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 7:42am
What a score! Someone is going to really love that car when you are done.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 10:02am
Paul, the Barn Find Hunter series is only published as youtube videos I think.   There isn't money in the budget to do much painting on the car.  I do have an extra quart of Frost White so we will probably take care of some rust near the back window and repaint the roof.  I'm thinking that we will use rubbing compound on the body and perhaps put a matt clear coat on it to preserve the patina and repaint those horrible wheels.  Also, if there are whitewalls on the other side of the tires, we will might turn them out and clean them up.  I have not checked yet.  Joe
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 8:53pm
OK we have been trying to get some momentum and keep it going on this project.  I have posted several questions and received good feedback about our transmission issues on the transmission topics in this form.  Thanks to all.  We pulled the engine over the last two days and retrieved the torque converter which will be sent for a rebuild tomorrow.  I included another picture of what was in the bottom of the pan.  I believe the metal shavings and gray sludge traces were caused by the slippage (due to the torque converter or some as-yet unknown cause).  I cleaned the pan and replaced it.  It is awaiting new ATF when the torque converter returns from the rebuilder. And yes, one of the guys from ZZTop did stop by when he heard we were working on a Rambler.  Wink  Actually that is Tom Fleisman, a loyal club member but he is an accomplished musician.  

Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 1:50pm
Beautiful car. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 3:10pm
Nice work.  Must be nice to work with Billy Gibbons.  Get him to give you some free picking lessons!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 7:01pm
Love it...........another AMC rescue !!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 8:41pm
Well this week I was able to speak with the former custodian of this club car in Lodi and he confirmed that Tom Cotter of The Barn Find Hunter spent about 20 minutes at his place and the crew took quite a bit of video but only about 20 seconds, showing this car, made it to the show.  This is indeed one of the cars shown in the lead-in video for last year's series of shows.

Today I began stripping the paint from the roof.   In California when the weather is right you can do paint and body work outside.  It was a beautiful day for it today.  The car has some surface rust which I will continue to address tomorrow, but I hope to have the roof in epoxy primer by Saturday morning.  There are lots of little crevices around the rain gutters and windshield gaskets that need to be cleaned.  The area just above the rear window was about the rustiest area on the car.  I will use my spot blaster tomorrow to clean that up.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 9:26pm

What's this spot blaster of which you speak, Joe? I bought one from Harbor Freight, but it's worthless on anything larger than a piece of jewelry, and my normal blaster gun and tank are sometimes too much work for a small job.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic