TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter BBD issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macdude443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 3:52pm
For what it's worth I see a few things wrong with the line routing...

First off, double check the lines to the fender-mount vac switches.  The rear one should run to a delay valve and a small reservoir, then to the distributor.  It looks like it may run directly to manifold source.

In the photo below, the vacuum source for the air cleaner switches and flaps is the one on the corner of the carb base.  I believe you have red and blue reversed at the carb.  The tubes marked in green are for the Pulse Air system.  If pulse air has been removed, leaving these unplugged will allow the carb to pull in un-filtered air (if I remember right).

In the next photo, the port circled in red is fed from the HVAC controls.  This blocks coolant flow to the heater core when AC is selected.  It may not be needed, but make sure the hose isn't a leak point.

In regards to the "Sol-Vac" on the front of the carb and idle speed:  This is enabled under two conditions.  The electric (solenoid) portion is extended when either the headlights, rear defrost or AC is switched on to bump up idle speed for the extra load.  The white plastic side, which should have a vacuum nipple underneath, is enabled by a electric vacuum switch on the valve cover.  This is enabled by the computer when needed.  It will also kick up the idle during a pre-timed amount under hot and cold starts.

So, without any electrical intervention, these are at rest and the idle should be adjusted with the curb idle screw.  The TSM details methods for setting idle when both the vacuum and electric sides of the Sol-Vac are enabled.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 9:08pm
As to the above comment on the Sol-Vac operation I have found the function to change by year so it is important to find out how this one works, the 80 and 81 did not work that way and the Idle never should be adjusted with the carburetor curb idle screw.
I defer to the above operation and stress you need a TSM to straighten this out.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
macdude443 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macdude443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2016 at 3:02pm
80/81 were different indeed.  I should have mentioned that.  Without the TSM it's really a guessing game.  At least the firewall decal is present.  That would indicate exactly what his car requires.  On my '86 the idle is adjusted by a screw that rides on the end of the Sol-Vac plunger.  You are correct.  I was remembering it wrong.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2016 at 8:28pm
The only TSM I presently have is the Chilton AMC 197x-198x repair manual, which came with the car when I got it. It hardly references the solenoid. In fact, the only wiring diagram with the device present belongs to a four-cylinder model. Which is odd, because the later vacuum diagrams clearly list it as a component.

So a few things I have done since last post:

1) Sprayed the carb again, found an anomaly in the rear. Replaced all vacuum hoses in the area. No change.
    1-2) Tightened down rear of carburetor. Again, no change.
2) Switched vacuum hoses from vacuum choke hold and reservoir w/check valve. No change.
3) Switched out distributor hose for a larger diameter hose, and switched adapter hose on T-bar for a smaller diameter hose. Car now runs slightly better, but car now skips when accelerating, like when car is warm and choke won't open fully.

As for the vacuum reservoir, the only one inside the car is a large, black sphere strapped to the inside fender, and I can't find info about smaller reservoirs. Any help would be appreciated.

Further, the adapter and the idle/decel vacuum lines seem to be switched. To what end, I don't know, I have left the vacuum setup alone since I got the car for fear of jacking it up. Will switch back and return with results on my day off tomorrow.

Lastly, I am beginning to believe this might be a late 1982 as opposed to a 1983. The door says 1982, but the vacuum diagram clearly reads 1983 and includes pulse valves that I haven't seen on any 1982 diagrams, which are, yes, missing. I have little experience with this. Any advice would help.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I apologize for being slow with my replies, breaks have been few-and-far between lately. I plan to next have a video with sound of how the car performs, outlining all issues present. Lord knows, I could just be paranoid about the way my carb sounds since this is my first carbureted vehicle. We shall see.

Thanks again.
macdude443 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macdude443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 10:53am
Since it has been established that the car is an 83 model yet it is clear that it no longer has the original feedback carb, it could be related to the computer still being half "in the loop" and not being able to correct A/F ratio, thus manipulating other switches in some kind of limp mode.  Driving around with the computer in open loop may not be the most efficient thing to do and could cause some major driving problems.  There was a year in which the computer began controlling ignition timing as well.  My '82 Eagle lacks that but my '86 Eagle has it.

This is a very hard problem to troubleshoot without being in front of the car.  Whoever owned it has placed it somewhere between factory and "keep it running".  Generally I like to keep things stock, but it isn't beginner stuff, so I've found.  You need a lot of spare parts that are NLA and it's almost best to start from scratch with all new lines following that firewall diagram.  You would also need the correct carb for your application (a BBD feedback with stepper motor).  You will also need a true AMC TSM and a good understanding of each component in the system.  There is a great website that will help explain what each part does:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/

Back behind the carb, there should be a square connector hanging loose with I believe 6-8 leads.  This would power the stepper motor on the original carb.  This motor controlled the air/fuel ratio, which the computer would monitor via the o2 sensor.  When the car starts, either warm or cold, the computer enters "open loop" mode (there are a bunch of open loop modes depending on coolant temp, intake air temp, etc).  When the right conditions are met (normal operating temp, warm intake air, startup timer complete, etc), Closed Loop is entered.  With your current setup, you'll never get to that state, so the car will run (most likely) in one of the various open loop states.

How to fix it... learn it and piece it back together, or bypass the computer (continue what the PO already started).  There are many guides to doing an ECM "test bypass".  Sounds like it's mostly all there to make stock, but you will need a feedback carb at the very least.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 1:46pm
hi, your choke pull off, the one marked blue, is going to full man vac. It should go to the nipple that is capped off, above the line in "red" The nipple where the "blue" line is, bottom, is usually a feed for the air cleaner vac. trapdoors. follow the vac diagram on the cowl. "Also, why is there a "T" in your PCV line? it looks like you have a nonfeedback body on a feedback base. good luck, gz
george z
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 9:59pm
As a closet 6 cylinder fan here in Phoenix I have the 80 nailed. I actually know of no one who actually drives a 6 cylinder AMC vehicle and the 80AMX in the drive way and my Spirit at the only ones I know of regularly driven and participating as hobby cars. The AMX is a 3rd owner car and as it turned out had many modifications to the smog system, my Spirit when purchased was blown up and junk. Both cars were restored to exactly letter perfect correct and it took a long time to find the missing components searching through Pick A Part cars. My Spirit has since be modified for fuel injection, but the MOPAR supplied unit and is still smog legal. The engine for the car when 1980 OEM correct was running compression and a cam and dyno'ed 110 Hp at the rear wheels. When smog legal they would run correctly and very well and I have yet to see one correct over time. It is way too hard to put them back together correctly due to lack of parts. I have not bothered trying to purchase a newer 6 cylinder AMC car due to lack of interest in part with Eagles and the sad shape they are found in.
I can't help on this one. As pointed out there were numerous changes as AMC used smarter and smarter computers to get the cars to run and time has not dealt with them very well.
An 80? I have all the data to make them run well. Newer ones? I can bypass what is there to get them to run well. I don't like the plastic valve cover and no one I know owns one.
Sorry. I'd like to help, but can't
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 6:10am
Since you have a good non-feedback carb, your best bet might be to go back to the engine configuration that used that carb. Unfortunately you'll have to guess what year that might be from the current carb configuration. I think the feedback carb first appeared in 1980, so you're probably looking at a 78-79 configuration. You will need to change everything over to that configuration though, and that might be hard to do as well, but should be easier than trying to restore the 1980 configuration. I'd even change the distributor, especially if it is a spark control model (has a connection to the computer, not just one or two wires to it).

Generally, these engines run way better with all the smog stuff in good working order than with it bypassed in a band-aide approach. By-passing does help running in cases where the smog stuff has failed out right, but it would still run better with everything working properly, or converted to an earlier configuration 100%. The by-passed but still using most of the original items like the feedback carb and distributor won't work nearly as well as either of the above.
Frank Swygert
Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 4:36pm
So. Interesting.

I switched the carburetor choke hose to the plugged one and hooked up the air cleaner. Surprising development, the car worked perfectly. So I made the mistake of turning it off.

Now it's exhibiting the same symptoms as before.

Can anyone tell me what could possibly be happening with a car that runs perfectly until you turn it off and then back on? Because that seems to be a common theme here.

Also, unrelated, I went ahead and replaced the PCV grommets. The connectors were so loose you could take them out with a stiff breath.

I should probably mention that every time it stalls, the engine rumbles to a stop, like it's being slowly strangled. It doesn't just straight up and die.

Edited by Tarnish - Oct/13/2016 at 4:47pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2016 at 6:12am
Yes -- there are CTO valves (thermostatic vacuum valves) that switch vacuum from one source when the engine is cold, another when it warms up. The CTOs screw into the block or intake water passages, so you should be able to find the hoses connected to them. That is one possible issue.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic