TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter BBD issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2016 at 12:39am
sorry, just reread your first post, so you did rebuild the carb! good. One thing to watch out for is did you use the correct base to body gasket. there are two in most kits, and if you use the wrong one, the carb will not work properly. a vac channel will be plugged, and there will be not vac. to the choke pull off. My last car had this issue, took me WEEKS to figure this out, man was I mad at the PO!, butt all goes well as ends well, good luck, gz
george z
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2016 at 2:02am
Check your filter.
Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2016 at 1:43am
This is all very helpful in understanding the issue. My next step will to be getting a picture gallery outlining as much information as possible. But for right now...

The carburetor is now spitting gas out from the top about five feet. Are you guys sure it's the vacuum system?
Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2016 at 6:09pm
Dunno if you guys can see any of these. Photobucket has gone downhill a bit.

I figured out it was spitting fuel because an emission line came unplugged. The original issue is still around. I'll keep spraying.

Edited by Tarnish - Oct/08/2016 at 6:14pm
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 7:05am
Sounds like the previous owner's description saying 'it has a knock' could be a 'tick' instead ...and this could be a stuck/partially stuck intake valve caused by neglect (sometimes happens when the engine doesn't get started for a year or so ...which might happen if they think it has a "knock' etc etc)

-if it has a partially stuck intake valve, this could cause a vacuum line to pop off because it'll have some backpressure in the intake manifold whenever the intake valve isn't fully closing?

-if 'it's gotten worse' this could indicate a bent pushrod? (if so it'll shake when running and make a ticking sound)

Chilton's Manual has excellent troubleshooting section IMO & is very helpful in a situation like yours where nobody here can see your engine actually running...

Describe how the engine starts; does it start easy and run smooth, or does it start by having to crank the starter a while longer and then runs shakey?

Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 2:29pm
Takes awhile to start (No curb idle screw), but runs smooth in general, save for the fact that once it's started, you have to babysit it to make sure it stays awake. Only knocks when warmed up, and knock goes away as soon as RPMs hit 1,200 or so.
Dude also said he tested it as a lean condition, so I'm tempted to believe him.
I also haven't seen any vacuum lines popping off, though I imagine that would cause a serious and immediate drop in performance, right?

Edited by Tarnish - Oct/09/2016 at 2:40pm
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 3:33pm
It is always a bit difficult to sort things out from pictures, but looking at this carburetor in the 5th and 6th picture from the top, the gizmo that looks a bit like a rubber nipple about 3/4 of an inch in diameter is the curb idle speed adjust.
The idle mixture screw if I am correct is not able to be seen, but in the 6th picture it should be just below and to the left of the fuel inlet.
The curb idle adjustment speed is functional providing the same adjustment that is part of the carburetor linkage is adjusted so it is not functional and the small nut on the end of the rubber thing is turned for curb idle.
It was done this way due to all of the vacuum controls for the thing to run correct required this external means to control curb idle. This carburetor is slightly different than my memory says it should be but it is also apparently a couple of years newer than mine and might very well be slightly different.
But the tuning would be done pretty much the same. ]

I would have to get off my duff and go down to the garage and pull a later Eagle carburetor off my shelf to qualify anything I say at the moment.

On the 5th picture down there is or it looks like a wire going into the rubber nipple thing on the carburetor. When the engine is running 12 volts would be on that gizmo causing it to energize and it would be used to set idle speed. When the engine stops, the 12 volts disappear and the rubber thing (some form of idle speed solenoid) disengages causing the throttle butterfly's to close completely which eliminating the tendency to diesel

The carburetor itself has idle speed adjustment mechanics on it and the single biggest problem well, one of many, is using that to control idle speed. Wrong, turn the carburetor adjustments so they do nothing and not touch anything. That solenoid is the idle speed control.

Edited by uncljohn - Oct/09/2016 at 3:42pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 5:41pm
Yeah, but that solenoid only activates when the car about dies, then it kicks on and revs the engine to about 1500 RPM until it about dies again, and the cycle continues.

Given, this is only when the car is warming up, and once more when it gets to a certain temperature. Fine after that until you slow down and it doesn't kick on at all.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Tarnish Tarnish wrote:

Yeah, but that solenoid only activates when the car about dies, then it kicks on and revs the engine to about 1500 RPM until it about dies again, and the cycle continues.

Given, this is only when the car is warming up, and once more when it gets to a certain temperature. Fine after that until you slow down and it doesn't kick on at all.

I have worked on a number of AMC engines of the late 70's and early 80's and that solenoid in my 1980 TSM is called a TCS Solenoid and may serve more than one purpose.
Purpose #1 is to keep idle speed correct when engine is running and the solenoid may be vacuum controlled to do that
OR
It may come off of switched 12 volts thus On All The Time as long as the ignition is on.
Purpose #2 is to increase idle speed when the A/C is running in that case the solenoid will have maybe two functions, one to keep idle speed correct when engine is running and thus may be vacuum controlled along with --
When A/C is on there will be 12 volts to solenoid which further increases idle speed.

Bottom line I don't have a clue what yours is doing, but it does not sound as if what ever it is doing yours might be some how hooked up wrong. What does your TSM manual say about how it should function?
It is part of the smog equipment on that engine.
I avoid AMC cars with plastic valve covers, I have owned one, got it running and sold it twice. I never bought another one.
When I took it to a smog center it passed but it leaked oil like a puppy on a leash.
If it is only a 12 volt line to the solenoid, it may be coming off of the device on the oil pressure which switch 12 volts if the oil pressure is low. Again what does the TSM say about how it is hooked up.

Edited by uncljohn - Oct/09/2016 at 6:14pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 6:51am
You could have an intake or exhaust manifold leak. An exhaust leak will cause a "tick". Have you had the manifolds off? First check all the bolts and make sure they are tight. If you find some loose bolts and tightening doesn't help you might need to remove them and replace gaskets, especially if an exhaust leak is found. When you put them back on start tightening in the middle and work your way out. Tighten the four in the middle, then one on each end from middle out until you reach the ends. Check where the exhaust pipe meets the manifold also.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic