TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter BBD issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 12:10am
Lmao. Yeh, I already replaced most of those things. The Master Cylinder was my last resort, and it seems as though I need to replace that, too! Go figure.

Looks like the booster may be bad as well, now I'm looking at it. Engine stalls and the pedal falls. Ffs, it never ends.

I'll be able to run it again eventually. Maybe.
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 1:39pm
I agree TOTALLY with hook up all of the things correctly..
I have had MUCH better results when you connect everything properly..
ESPECIALLY, the EGR valve.. It will make a huge difference in not having spark knock (detonation) when it is working, and not clogged with carbon..   Get a factory manual.. There is an accurate description of the feedback system.. and what each part does..
Tarnish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarnish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 2:02am
New carb, no longer stalls. Guess it actually was just a worn-out old carburetor.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 12:11am
sometimes the body casting is simply bad. they wear! and pits and corrosion... carbs are fluid computers, so emulsion on the metal actually matters. for some reason it's easier to find reusable 60's carbs than 70's 80's carbs. 

congratulations on the success.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 9:04pm
hi, great the car is running again, hope you enjoyed this "ordeal", bet you now know more about your car than anybody else, that's what it's about. good luck, gz
george z
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 12:56pm
I've just picked up a 1977 AMC Pacer with a 4.2 6cyl., power steering, AC, power brakes, a 2bbl carter non electric choke and the pollution stuff on it. Someone before me took off some of the pollution equipment.
It seems to be running good but I've noticed that some of the vacuum lines are not hooked up where they are supposed to go according to the few diagrams that I've been able to find on the internet. It is running rich but not smoking. I need a vacuum diagram specifically for it. I see that you have posted some diagrams. I need to know just exactly what pollution equipment that can be removed and how to do it.
Can you help me with this project?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 8:03pm
The problem with removing the emissions equipment is that the engine was specifically designed and tuned to run with it. You have to be careful about removing any of it. It's usually best to get it back in working order than to try to remove it unless you study it and know exactly what the removed equipment was doing and how it will affect engine running. Too many times people just rip it all off without making changes to things like the distributor and carb to make it run correctly without the stuff. It is getting harder to fix the emissions equipment due to parts, but that's the best route. When it's not working right it will adversely affect engine performance to the point that removing it might help, but still won't bring performance up to where it would be if everything was working. You have the additional challenge of not knowing what was done before you got the car.
Frank Swygert
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 10:53pm
Thanks Frank.
It is not running too badly. I know that I need to reset the timing and do some minor carb adjustments.
I was just looking for some knowledge that I didn't have pertaining to the emissions controls that are safely removed and how it would affect the engine the way it is right now. I appreciate the feedback.
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 9:21am
Tarnish, 
This may not have anything to do with your problem but I had a knock in my pacer 6 cly 258 that happened only on startup and went away right after it started running. I changed the plugs and wires and found out that #6 cyl plug looked like brand new and hadn't been firing at all while the other 5 plugs were fouled somewhat. The way that the 6cyl motor is stuffed so far up under the cowl makes it possible to not seat the plug wire well enough. I fixed that problem and the starting knock went away. Just a thought.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2023 at 8:31am
BOBB, you really need to get a 1977 TSM. That will have all the info you need.  If you plan on keeping the car a while it will be the best $50 you ever spent on it. You don't need the two supplements for the Pacer.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic