TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter accel pump 2 barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter accel pump 2 barrel
    Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 5:50am
Just rebuilt the carb with a kit because the excel pump wasn't squirting fuel. Well now after the kit it still isnt. The check ball is there, question is which way does the little brass valve fit,point down or up....but I guess that just keeps it from dribbling. I can get a small dribble out but no squirt.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 9:09am
The point should go down into the carb. The point is where the fuel shut's off.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 11:05am
your rebuild kit should have come with an exploded parts diagram. That will show you the correct orientation for the accelerator pump diaphragm.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 11:30am
The point is down, the diaphragm is leather so I'm good there
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 9:08pm
Is it a carter BBD or an old Carter WCD?

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 11:24am
Wcd
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 12:11pm
Ok,  the accelerator pump is a little more complicated than on later Carter carbs because it has the pump section which must be assembled correctly and a separate discharge assembly.  The explosed view is here:

http://www.carburetion.com/diags/C2-WCD.jpg

I recommend that you google Mike's Carburetor Parts and go to his series of videos on rebuilding the WCD and make sure you have done everything correctly.  Then, before you put the carb back on the car, and perhaps before actually completing the assembly test the function of the accelerator pump using mineral spirits in the float bowl because that is a little safer than using gas.  I bet you will find the problem. Also, carb kits have been known to include incorrect parts.  I have heard the the diameter of the accelerator pump seal has been incorrect in some kits but I can't remember ever experiencing that.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

The point should go down into the carb. The point is where the fuel shut's off.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

This is why I asked, it looked like it was pointed up which wouldn't make much sense. This taken from the TSM 
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 12:26pm
Let the leather piston get wet with gas, and give it some time to swell a bit.

Edited by Ken Doyle - Sep/29/2018 at 12:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic