TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

carb linkage modification / m-8 trans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb linkage modification / m-8 trans
    Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 7:45am
Need to know if anyone has dealt with this problem. I have a 287 engine and a m-8 automatic transmission , I have installed a stock 4 barrel intake manifold from a 327 engine and installed a quick fuel 450  cfm 4 barrel carburetor   and  using the original transmission cable.
i'am trying to get to the the transmission cable to work with the accelerator, i know i have to make linkage for the carburetor, but i need to know how to set the travel of the trans cable in conjunction with the accelerator linkage, the problem i have is, i cannot get the full throttle position with the trans cable installed.(I have made linkage for the trans cable  to extend it) need advice.

thanks
BjH
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 12:28pm
There are 2 mount positions on the 4 bbl and neither seem to be same as 2 bbl. I made a small bracket. Measure both intakes and you will see. This is critical...throttle is easy.
detmarlin65 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 4:04pm
thanks for the information, pictures would be helpful 
BjH
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 5:52am
The cable pushes in on acceleration, is out at idle. You just need to mount it so that at WOT the cable bottom out, at idle (fast-idle/choke off) it's all the way out. The specs for adjustment is to install with a "loose pin fit" in the clevis to carb/arm connection (the arm was on the shift linkage rod on six cylinders, not the carb), then extend the clevis two turns. You  an go as much as three turns longer to improve shifting a bit, but much more and you'll find it kicking down to 2nd gear when pulling hills and trying to maintain speed. I mean down-shifting much earlier than you'd like! The governor in the trans prevents down-shifts over a certain speed, but that's like 65 or so with everything set to stock specs.

One way to figure out arm length is to look at the stock location and measure from the pivot point out to the attaching point. An arm on the carb (or added arm) that same length should do the trick. Then it's just a matter of fabbing a mount for the cable.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 11:54am
BjH
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 11:55am
thanks for the detailed information that helps a lot. I will do that.
BjH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic