TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Car Storage Bag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2009 at 10:53am
Originally posted by AMX North AMX North wrote:

Just curious how this would work if the garage was heated on occasion and the car was in the bag and the bag was left closed up. I don`t heat the garage all the time but I do go out and work on the weekends and some evenings. From the sound of it if all the moisture is out then it should not allow the car to sweat.
This is exactly what the CarJacket is for. Your occasional heating is no different than the occasional warm spring day when everything within 4 feet of the ground will be wet with condensation. The dessicant inside the bag maintains a consistent low humidity, its own climate so to speak, so the car inside will still be nice and dry regardless of the temperature outside.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
AMX North View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX North Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2009 at 3:59pm
Thanks it sounds like a good plan for next winters storage and I like the idea of the extra protection for the paint. I will be too busy working on it this year to keep it covered.
Kevin 
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2009 at 9:04am
Originally posted by amcrules00 amcrules00 wrote:

I thought the moisture was generated by the heating up and cooling down cycle you're introducing? Can't imagine this being good over the long term. I read the general concensus here in the sleeping bags are the best for unheated enviroments and the bubbles are better in heated spaces. Dessicant is a good idea in both. Confirm?

Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air, so as the air cools, the water condenses. The  cooling does not actually generate the moisture, it was already there in the warm air.

Once the bag is sealed, the external humidity variations have no effect, but if you sealed the car in the bag without drying the air first, you will get condensation on the car when the temperature drops. That's why they tell you to zip up the car on a dry day with the car thoroughly dry. Otherwise you trap the moisture in the bag with the car.  The desiccant absorbs the remaining moisture that's inside the bag, so you need enough desiccant to do the job. That of course depends upon the humidity at the time the bag was sealed.

The bubbles with fans do nothing for you IMO. Unless the car is in a climate controlled room, the air blown across the car will be humid. You will get less condensation because the air is moving, but you can't guarantee moving air in every little nook and cranny. That's where the condensation (and rust) will occur. Unless there is a filter on the fan intake, then you are blowing dirt on the car too.

If the car is in a climate controlled room, why bother with a bubble? Just throw a cover over the car or zip it up in a bag to be extra sure.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic