TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Car Storage Bag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71AMX4014SPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Storage Bag
    Posted: Dec/13/2009 at 9:24pm
I purchased this storage bag from California Car Cover. It is a great solution to mice, spiders,dust and most of all,moisture. It has a built in rust inhibitor and dessicant. You actually put the car on top of the bottom, and then zip up the side and ends. I will report back in May to let you know if it lives up to its claims!
Lay out the storage bag with the heavier side laid out in preparation to push the car onto.
Don't forget to remove the battery! I also leave the windows slightly open, as well as the trunk lid, to allow any condensation to evaporate.I covered the car in my regulare car cover as well. Straighten the sides in preparation to zip it up! 
See you in May!!!

1968 Javelin 360 727 B/W/R
1970 AMX 390 4spd Bayshore Blue
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 7:19am
Nice idea....I'd be interested in your thoughts after you open it up in the spring.   I usually just cover mine and lock up the garage but have always had concerns about moisture.  Whats the cost of the bag?   I assume it's reusable also??
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 7:20am
Scott has one I think.............. loves it..... not sure if the same brand, though.
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 7:55am
Is this one of those deals where you zip it all up and there is a fan or something that airs it up and keeps air moving around and all.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 8:01am
No - no fan. You don't want air getting in............. the desiccant keeps it dry inside.
The car is supposed to be totally dry and clean when you zip her up.
In this case, "fresh air" is bad as it can introduce moisture.
Scott has had his for a couple of years, I think - he's posted about it here before. Might do a search under ohio's user ID for similar terms, probably cover "all time" as I think he posted recently as well, but know he did a year or more ago.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 8:32am
These are great - that blue AMX was always stored in one before it found it's new home! I'm told that the guy who invented the bag stores his maseratti in one - in a dirt floor barn - each winter!
AMO Newsletter Editor
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 8:43am
been using one for a couple years. It's great. No dust, no mice,  even the rotors are nice and shiny. Got mine online from   Carbag.com   think it was a couple hundred bucks and they include enough desiccant for the first time then you can regenerate in the oven . Works perfect!
360 5-speed orig owner...
71AMX4014SPD View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71AMX4014SPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 9:00am
This zippered bag has the dessicant and Z-rust built right in,between the layers.They say it will last several years (indoor use only)The 2 seat AMX takes the smallest size,(9'6"X15") cost $259.00 +$23.99 shipping from California Car Cover in Chatsworth,Ca.The only fly in the ointment was the antenna, as it is not the fully retractable type. I just wrapped a micro cloth around the top so it wouldn't damage the bag.
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 9:14am
There's another sort with the re-usable and "dryable" desiccant. That would be my option.
Of course, it can be purchased from other sources.
Around here, their desiccant would last perhaps one season at best. The last couple of days have been fog and wet concrete due to very high humidities, and in the fall when you store these things, the atmosphere is usually saturated as well.
The sort I looked at a year or so ago was about $325-350 for a Javelin size.
The reason I do not use one myself is that winter is when I get to work on the car. In fact, once I get an air cleaner, the hood will be open for a manifold swap again, among other repairs. I use November through March for working on the car when I can, the exact times most of you will store your cars in these bags.
Otherwise, consider me to be "all for these things!"
71AMX4014SPD View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71AMX4014SPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 9:47am
I agree with billd,it is a wet and snowy season here in upstate NY,thankfully this is a very dry building (new construction)so we will see how the moisture is handled.This is a first for me, I finally have a car that just needs to be stored, NO winter time work required! BUT-I have 2 other unfinished AMC's that I will be working on from now until May (Thankfully in heated areas,nicely equipped with a four post lift)so I will have still have lots to post here! 
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic