TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

car lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2016 at 12:56pm
These are on sale for $2k, glad to have come across this review.

I just had my new garage/driveway poured, 4" pad with wire mesh, and I had them put 2'x3' sections of 6" depth for various 2-post lift footprints. 

It's been a few years since this was posted, any updates on the lift? I'm hoping it will be the right size for my '68 Rebel, can you confirm? Also, is the positioning of the lift basically in the middle of the car? They mention different front/rear distances, depending on the type of car (truck/FWD/RWD).

Thanks!

1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 3:28pm
Some things to mention..

-On AMC/Ramblers you need a lift with long Front arms,
to reach the Front rails of the UniBody.
With My javelin the Front arms of my lift are nearly 90° and maxed out to get a good support.
I marked the Positions of the Wheels, where the cars has to stand.
Most Lifts front arms will be not long enought.
I investigated a bit until i found a matching Lift.

As skynless posted 4" of concrete is the absolute Minimum.
I did 10" with 2 layers of big rebar.. but I´m a contractor.. LOL

The dowlels that come with the chinese lifts...
take them, and throw them in the Trash where they belong.
Get some BRAND decent ones,
or even better an chemical anchor bolt system like something from Hilti or Fisher.
http://www.fischerfixingsusa.com/Home/Product-Range/Product-Selector.aspx/cpage-category
/pcategory-1001076852/

Some System like this, is highly recomended when you work with existing concrete floor of unknown Quality.
An chemical anchor bolt wont add stress to the Floor with pre tension.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 4:07pm
My new garage has scissor trusses that give me 12' peak interior (in the middle), so I'm leaning more towards one of the two cheaper models: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lift/Overhead-2-Post-Lifts

As far as the lift points, don't I just need to reach the four pads designated "LIFT"? 

Unfortunately for me that won't be possible until everything is stripped and the frame/floorboards are correctly restored (anyone know a guy near SE Michigan?).

Thanks!
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 1:52am

As far as the lift points, don't I just need to reach the four pads designated "LIFT"?

Depends on the Car. Some have diffrent Lift points, and no letterd LIFT Pads
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 4:04am
I'm referring to my '68 Rebel, which has them, albeit the rear driver side is too soft to support the car at the moment.
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
amxlonnie View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxlonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 4:41pm
I have a 9000 Lb asymetrical lift and it works great. My javelin fits it nicely, have had many different cars on it though.  68 catalina on it right now(floor pans )
 It is bolted to a floor with fibermesh reinforced concrete. I would suggest this type of concrete if you're pouring a new floor. this stuff makes it very tough, drop a rotor or axle on it and it barely marks it, no chunks coming out of this stuff
I made a section through the center of my shop 6" thick so I would know it was strong enough. no problems in five years.

Cheap lift was 1695.00 installed w/o power or fluid .

being asymetrical the front arms are shorter than the rear. it makes getting in and out of the car easier, but they are plenty long for lifting just about anything I want to lift.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 5:50pm
I'm leaning towards a 4 post myself,
 would be nice to do some car stacking, and turn the two car garage into a 3 car garage.
(especially for winter parking)

Someone already mentioned Greg Smith, any comments good or bad about them?

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 7:39pm
I bought an Eagle 16 years ago when they were made in the USA...Excellent product
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

would be nice to do some car stacking, and turn the two car garage into a 3 car garage.

If you have limited overhead clearance, it's good to remember that four-post lifts require a little more ceiling height for stacking cars.  With a four-post lift, you are lifting by the tires, whereas with a two post lift you are lifting by the frame, so the clearance underneath the four-post lift will be reduced by the difference.  With my 8' ceiling, I can fit my Opel GT and my AMX using a 2-post lift, but with a 4-post lift I would be shy by about 2".  Obviously this is only a concern if you have a low ceiling like I do.  I guess I could always put 9" tires and wheels on the Opel. LOL

There are other pros and cons to both.  I like that you can store things other than cars on a four-post (motorcycles come to mind), but things like rebuilding a suspension would be easier on a two-post. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 7:41am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Love my four poster for the parking. I have found out that you can do just about anything on the 4 posters. Jack up a single wheel if need be. If you are doing a brake job I find it just as easy to jack up on the floor with jack stands. Again...love the storage of a 4 poster.

I have bought parts, Hyd valve, from Greg Smith, did me good.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic