TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Canton oil pan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canton oil pan
    Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 9:17pm
looking at the canton 15-554 oil pan....any problems with fitment in a small car chassis.. 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 9:55pm
They fit fine, running one in my 69 Rambler. The drain plug is close to the scattershield, but it works.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 9:55pm
A long as you're using the factory crossmember and motor mounts, it will fit. It won't work with the Control Freak front crossmember.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 7:00am
I have the Canton oil pan, on a 401, installed in a 66 American with Control Freaks IFS suspension and crossmember.  Plenty of clearance once you get it in.  I used a Quick Time bell housing and had to machine a small semi-circle in the bell housing lip to provide access to the drain plug.
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Tomerekson Tomerekson wrote:

I have the Canton oil pan, on a 401, installed in a 66 American with Control Freaks IFS suspension and crossmember.  Plenty of clearance once you get it in.  I used a Quick Time bell housing and had to machine a small semi-circle in the bell housing lip to provide access to the drain plug.

You're probably using the Canton pan that Control freak sells with their kit. It's a modified version of the 15-554 that the original poster asked about. The front edge of the sump has a squared off cut out that makes the sump slightly smaller. That's the one I'm running on my Control Freak Rambler also.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 7:48pm
Thanks for the reply`s...i`ve only have used deep Milodon pan`s in my cars...But being this pan is about an inch shorter that would really help with ground clearance...we are using a stock crossmember and mounts and a 727...i remember a post showing how close the drain plug is with a scatter shield...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 8:24pm
Bob wrote  "You're probably using the Canton pan that Control freak sells with their kit. It's a modified version of the 15-554 that the original poster asked about. The front edge of the sump has a squared off cut out that makes the sump slightly smaller. That's the one I'm running on my Control Freak Rambler also."

I'm running the 15-554 with my Control Freaks suspension/cross member, when I ordered Al told me to order it directly from Canton (or Summit, don't remember where I got it).  We modified the trans cross member, however, lowering the trans slightly to accommodate a GearVendors overdrive without having to modify the trans/driveshaft tunnel. 
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic