TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can not accelerate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 10:42am
Possibly the inlet needle is stuck in its seat.  Lightly tap on the top of the carb near the fuel inlet to see if it frees up.  Also might try disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and try spraying some carb cleaner in there.  Do you know if your particular carb has a filter inside the fuel inlet?  If so, maybe that's clogged.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 11:11am
Rocklandrambler, when I disconnected the fuel line from the inlet port, I did see a small round wire filter that seemed like it was at an angle and not seated correctly?  I did spray some carb cleaner in the carb, but did not seem to do any good.

Bill Lang
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 11:16am
Boris, I have a glass fuel filter and I do not see any crud inside the glass window?
Bill Lang
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 11:27am
Is there a small filter attached to the side of the carb inlet? About 2"long and 3/4 diameter. My carb has a filter here if yours does take it off and reverse flush it out with low pressure compressed air. If that checks out then order a full carb rebuild kit. cost around $50. Look up your carb on line to watch a video of how to do it. I take pictures of all linkage prior to disassembly and pictures at each step. Lay out sections of carb on tray small parts like to roll away! Disassemble and clean the upper section first. I do not soak the floats some are plastic. Once upper section is disassembled set that tray aside and stat work on the base section of the carb yes on a different tray. This makes it easier when you go to reassemble so you discover an extra part you know what section it goes to. There really aren't that many parts so don't let it intimidate you. You have crud and blockage in the carb once everything is clean it should work fine. On the base section of the carb remove the jets (brass plug with hole in the center slotted for straight screw driver) out of the lower section and remove accelerator pump out of carb base. There will be a small check ball in the bottom of the accelerator pump passage so be careful not to lose it. In my case the ball was stuck and pump had deteriorated. Do not disconnect any of the shafts or side linkage , only take apart what is needed to take carb sections apart. Leave the throttle plates attached too. Now either buy a gallon of carb cleaner and soak the carb in it or spay cans of cleaner to remove varnish from moving parts, all passageway and openings. More throttle plates to make sure they operate smoothly and check that they are not loose or worn between shaft and carb body. Clean the jets and metering rods. If small holes are blocked do not probe or open with wire. Soak them and use compressed air. Once everything is clean blow compressed air through all passageway jets etc. Open your kit and see what parts are sent as replacements. Match them up with the old ones to make sure they are the same. Assemble the top of the carb with floats (using new parts)and needle seats attached. There should be instructions and a gauge that shows how to adjust the floats. Us new gaskets and re-assemble the carb. One side note prior to taking the top of the carb off you will see two small egg shaped caps between the front and rear throttle plates, slowly remove the screw holding the cap on. The metering rods are under those caps and have a spring that will push the cap up when you unscrew it. So keep one finger over the cap and unscrew it slowly let it push up remove the cap rod and spring prior to taking off the top of the carb, when you reassemble the carb install these last. If your are not mechanically inclined you may want to call a carb shop for an estimate. At some point it's not a lot more to buy a brand new carb vs paying shop labor to rebuild existing one. So if I was you I'd take the plunge and do it yourself. If it doesn't work out you're only out time and $50. Then buy a different carb. However I'm sure you'll be ok doing it and now you will have the satisfaction of solving that problem and feel more confident about yourself and knowing your car better. Just make sure you meticulously clean all parts and look inside the sides of each throttle body there are small holes that lead to jets and other passsges blow air through them. Wear safety glasses or a face shield, carb cleaner in the face sucks. Good luck 🍀
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 2:43pm
Myrambler, thanks for all the instructions, I will tear the carb apart hopefully Saturday.  
Bill Lang
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 10:26pm
If this is the type of Fuel Filter you have, it is a POS and will give you nothing but trouble. Don't leave it on there after you get everything cleaned out.

Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 12:52am
I agree. More thsn once I have seen those filters completely restrict the fuel system. Customer was amazed how much difference a fuel filter can make.
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 8:31am
nda racer, thanks so very much, that is exactly the filter I am running, I will change it first and continue my diagnoses. 
Bill Lang
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 9:54am
Check out this PDF file for your carb 1403-1413 Perf Series Carburetor Owner's Manual.qxd - Edelbrock
Heres a you tube video also Edelbrock Carb rebuild - YouTube
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 10:37am
Yup those filters suck balls. Especially if the glass breaks or they unscrew and burn you down
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic