TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can not accelerate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 5:50pm
First thing I would check is the vacuum advance.

Exhaust restrictions would keep the car from accelerating.

So would wiped cam lobes...if they open enough to start, but won't open enough to feed the engine/expel the exhaust.

Bad timing chains don't always rattle.

Start checking one thing at a time. How many miles on cam? How many miles on timing set? If you don't know, they remain suspect.

On the ignition, a volt/ohm meter can be a great diagnostic tool.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:09pm
Check the timing chain by pulling the dist cap, then rotating the engine a couple of turns clockwise. THEN! take a socket/breaker bar and rotate the engine backwards a quarter turn . If the distributor cap rotor does not move when you rotate the crank right away, you got a slack /worn timing chain. There should be no lag in the rotor when you start moving that crank backwards.

Did this car ever run well? Is this recently occurring?

Check the spark, pull a spark plug wire and hold it next to the engine and crank the engine. Should be a nice fat blue spark. If not, bad condenser, bad coil or BAD GROUND. These cars seem to be prone to a bad ground for whatever reason.  Don't think a new condenser can't possibly be bad, I've bad ones right out of the "Made in China" box. Nice box though.

Those are three quick ideas...otherwise it is the basics:

1.Fuel
2.spark
3.compression
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:18pm
Did you change the condenser when you changed points? Did you set gap and dwell?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:13pm
My 290 V8 Rogue Stumbled badly when accelerating. Take off the air cleaner and start the car and open the throttle, there are two squirters at the front of the carb that connect to the accelerator pump. My accelerator pump had deteriorated so no fuel was squirting from the two jets. Simple to buy a rebuild kit and take it apart and clean everything and replace the accelerator pump. if not that then as others have said check spark and timing. Todays fuel is hard on the old carb rubber and leather parts. 
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Smoke245 Smoke245 wrote:

I am trying to figure out why my 69 AMC Javelin, 290 engine will not accelerate.  I can drive and run at low speeds, but as soon as I go to get on it, it just bogs down and chokes out?  And on a separate note, I cannot shut off the car, it keeps on running even when I shut it off and pull the key, it is still running until I pull a wire off the solenoid switch?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What do your plugs look like? Pull one and tell us or better yet, pictures. You could be flooding or way too rich. What is the engine timed at? What is the vacuum at idle and cruise? What is the compression readings while cranking. You can do just one with the throttle held open. I'm looking for a number, not whether all the cylinders are even. What carb do you have? Are you sure the coil is wired correctly for polarity. Wire from points goes to the - side and the yellow ignition wire goes to the +.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 7:30am
Accelerator pump and or it's passages.

Start cheap, avoid an Easter Egg Hunt...
Gremlin Dreams
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 4:14pm
You mean it won't accelerate if you jump on it, or it won't accelerate at all, not even gradually on a steadily increasing throttle?

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 11:38am
Ivor, not even a gradually or a steadily increasing throttle.
Bill Lang
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 10:33am
Have you checked for the accelerator pump squirting?
Gremlin Dreams
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Smoke245 Smoke245 wrote:

Ivor, not even a gradually or a steadily increasing throttle.

That's bizarre.

Even if the timing is out, it should still accelerate.

What the other chaps have suggested, and
- check fuel pressure
- take off the rubber fuel hoses and make sure they haven't collapsed
- check fuel filter
- check the fuel tank vent is open
- check the wet fuel level
- check that the throttle is actually opening when you press the accelerator. Will it rev up when stationary?

As regards the not stopping, it doesn't apply to you as you still have points, but as a matter of interest some electronic ignition systems have that problem.
Alternator feedback.....
https://www.americanautowire.com/view-faq/when-i-turn-my-car-off-it-continues-to-run-and-will-not-shut-off-why/

Ivor

Edited by 990V8 - Mar/13/2018 at 12:43pm
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic