TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can not accelerate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can not accelerate
    Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:38am
I am trying to figure out why my 69 AMC Javelin, 290 engine will not accelerate.  I can drive and run at low speeds, but as soon as I go to get on it, it just bogs down and chokes out?  And on a separate note, I cannot shut off the car, it keeps on running even when I shut it off and pull the key, it is still running until I pull a wire off the solenoid switch?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Bill Lang
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 12:51pm
Not accelerating is likely one of the two most common things. Timing is not right or it is straving for fuel.The ignition swtich is certainly electrical issues and checking for power from the switch when the key is in the off position is where I would start. If you don't have a wiring diagram I would strongly suggest finding one online and then work backwards from either the coil or the igntion switch. I know that this is probably not as detailed as you need but more information is needed to get into detailed troubleshooting.
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 1:47pm
Shootist, i know I am getting fuel to the carb, as I pulled of the fuel line going into the carb and it has a good flow?  
Bill Lang
79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 3:35pm
Not being able to accelerate could be faulty advance.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 4:12pm
Streched timing chain? 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 4:39pm
Could the problem not be something inside the carb itself?  Accelerator pump?  second stage something?
Bill Lang
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 4:52pm
Could be something else timing chain was just a suggestion. 

Do you have a choke flap? is it staying open when you hit the gas? 

Accelerator pump would bog when you hit the gas, it gives an initial shot of fuel. 

Other than the choke flap closing and choking out the engine I cant think of anything carb related that would cause your symptoms. 

Points shot? Do you have points ignition? 

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 4:53pm
Maybe not enough fuel pressure. How is your fuel pump

rbjracing.com
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 5:12pm
I just changed the points 2 months ago, and the fuel pump is only a year old.  If it was the timing chain, would I not hear a clanging rattling noise?
Bill Lang
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 5:16pm
Dont mean they are still good. Guess you need to go through things 

rbjracing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic