TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can anyone ID this tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 11:40am
The top one does not appear to have a serrated jaw so it cannot grip pipe. So it's not a "monkey" or "pipe" wrench.
The bottom does have the serrated jaw and is adjustable but does not have an open/lock function like a vise grip. It's specific use is unknown to me. It may grip pipe or something soft if pushed on but it would not have the holding power of a pipe wrench. 
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 12:01pm
A Monkey wrench has no serrated jaws it is not a pipe wrench
partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 1:05pm
I think i seen the bottom one in a dentist office once,LOL
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 5:29pm
I stand corrected, yes by most definitions a "monkey" wrench does not have serrated jaws and is defined as a 90 degree adjustable type wrench.
Who knew that 32 years in the trade that all the trades people/instructors I worked with were wrong. Mind you most were British so maybe there is a royal difference???
My apologies!

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 7:06pm
"The bottom one is an Elgin adjustable alligator wrench produced into the late 1920's.". Did I miss the part about "What's it used for?".
Mike
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 5:24pm
Yeah, "monkey wrenches" and "pipe wrenches" are totally different. The pipe wrench also SELF-TIGHTENS around the pipe. It's made so that once it starts to "grab" the pipe, the jaws tighten even more, there's usually a spring in the older better ones. They only work one way.
The Ford wrench won't self-tighten, it's more like an "adjustable wrench" in that respect (what many call a "crescent wrench").
But there's actually a right and wrong to them, too - but not for the same reasons as pipe wrenches.
I bet I have over a dozen various pipe wrenches - from very small to pretty large.

For kicks, here's a couple of pictures of a tool I found buried in a bunch of stuff most folks would have tossed, stuck up in a cigar box in a cupboard in Dad's garage............ 
Patent date is in 1922 if I remember right - without looking. 
No, it doesn't work, rust and age have seen to that, but it's still cool.

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 11:22pm
Please provide dimensions because first look is 1920's 30 OT 170 bullet.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2018 at 3:11pm
LBS TO

is what it says on the end.

I'd have thought the left end would have given it away! That part is much like the modern version of this tool. (but modern versions don't start at 30 and go up to 170!)

Now what interests me, besides the range, is the name of the company that made it -
A. Schrader's Son, Inc.

Not "Schrader, Son and Company", not Schrader and company, not Schrader, Sons and Company, but "A. Schrader's Son, Inc."

Obviously, A. Schrader's son had a company and made this.....

By the way, found another Ford script wrench, a used open end wrench. I say used because one end was used on a TIGHT bolt or nut and is stretched a tad, but it's definitely a Ford script wrench.
I have a bucket of old wrenches Dad gave me years ago I need to go through!
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2018 at 6:29pm
According to Wikipedia, August Schrader's son, George, was largely involved in the invention of the Schrader valve. Makes sense he would make a tire gauge to fit that valve as well.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
DetroitAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DetroitAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 11:46pm

Elgin is a 'Sears' Brand. It was the name of their top of the line bikes in the early part of the century.
     It's a Bicycle wrench
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic