TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can a bad flasher blow a fuse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a bad flasher blow a fuse?
    Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 10:58pm
The flashers on my 73 Gremlin blew their fuse today. I have ruled out any accessories that I have hooked up so that leaves the turn signals and back up lights. This happened on my way to a car show so I haven't had time to poke around too much but I have been wondering. Can a flasher going bad cause an internal short?
Leon Richard
73 Gremlin X 258/auto

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leon_richard/
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 8:01am
I have never had that happen...The few problems I have encountered over the years were found to be bulb/socket related...Be sure and remove the bulbs and look down inside the sockets for a wayward piece of solder or other foreign matter.....Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 8:17am
No. The flasher unit is an inline switch. All it does is make and break the circuit. Under normal conditions, the lights can be on all day long without popping the fuse, so you have a short somewhere in the circuit.

Does the fuse blow if you step on the brakes? If so, the problem is with the rear lights. If not, the problem is with the front lights.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Leon Richard Leon Richard wrote:

The flashers on my 73 Gremlin blew their fuse today. I have ruled out any accessories that I have hooked up so that leaves the turn signals and back up lights. This happened on my way to a car show so I haven't had time to poke around too much but I have been wondering. Can a flasher going bad cause an internal short?

I assume by your statement that the fuse for your turn signals blew. Is the brake fuse ok. I have never seen a flasher short out internally but I suspect if the flasher is mounted in a metal bracket it could happen. Flashers are cheap replace it. It is more common to have problems with the rear wiring from loading and unloading stuff from the back of the car.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Leon Richard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 8:18pm
Ya I have some investigating to do. I was kind of thinking out loud. A few years ago the fuse was blowing because the metal flasher was touching something metal under the dash. I assumed that was the problem this time. I was supprised to see it wasn't near anything metal. I ruled out the accessories as when I plugged them back in the fuse didn't blow. It was either the back up lights or the flashers. I just thought if flashers were known to short when they got old I would assume thats what happened.
I will find some time this week to get under there for a better look. I need to remove the tray that is under the dash to really get to the wires. If that looks fine I will start checking sockets.
Leon Richard
73 Gremlin X 258/auto

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2016 at 7:08am
The flasher is very unlikely to be a problem unless some internal part, and there are very few, should snap off and touch the metal case and the case would have to touch ground. You're most likely to have a wiring problem or short nearest the light sockets. I'd start there and work back.
Check the TSM wiring diagram. There may be another circuit fed from the same fuse that's causing the problem.
Start in those areas where you have done work or have been before. Wiring problems under the dash aren't that likely unless you've been working under there or if you've had mice in the car.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Blitzman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blitzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2016 at 2:34pm
Hi,

It is possible as non solid state flashers(all old style) are a Bi-Metal that completes the circuit, it heats up from the current load and because of the two dis-similar metals it will cause it to flex away from the side that expands less thus pulling it off of the contact. Possibly the metal is contacting the case as the case is contacting ground? Not very probable but possible. I cannot see how the metal could draw more current as it is completing the circuit thru the light bulb so current draw should only be as much as bulb draws. A bulb that is bad could do it if the filament fell off and re-contacted differently. Again not very probable but possible.

I see George said something similar as well as checking for some ground feedback etc. from something not being connected correctly.

Odd things happen. I had a brand spanking new rotor(on crappy old Datsun mini truck) that shorted thru the dielectric to the distributor shaft via the pin that was holding down the rotor blade. Had just tuned it up, going down freeway and it dies, like what the heck, I have power and coil is sparking... I said OK let me try something that should not be it, luckily had old rotor, put it on, it fired back up. Took rotor back.

Possible old wiring... Old wiring can and does build up more resistance as it ages depending on conditions and if any overloading/overheating has happened etc. Check that maybe.

Other Info: Alternator flicker problems I have encountered in the past can probably be attributed to aged wiring that has changed resistance from stock spec which can change the apparent load on the regulator.

OK, Good luck!
Blitz

Edited by Blitzman - Jul/17/2016 at 2:38pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 10:52am
Burnt wire by Leon Richard, on Flickr
Well I found this after checking the bulbs and sockets and finding nothing. I do have it so its not blowing the fuse anymore but when I turn on the signal I only get a faint glow from the directional signals in the dash. I am going to replace this wire and see what happens. This is the wiper switch. According to the TSM this is tan with a tracer and goes to the flasher. This may not be my problem but it is a problem.

Edited by Leon Richard - Jul/20/2016 at 6:31pm
Leon Richard
73 Gremlin X 258/auto

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 10:54am
https://flic.kr/p/KjxHTR try this link...
Leon Richard
73 Gremlin X 258/auto

Blitzman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blitzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 4:41pm
Ugh! Glad you found that problem out! that could get nastier by far.

AMC's so far seem to have decent wiring, compared to say old Chryslers anyway. My buddy had a few Chryslers back when and I think his harness went up in smoke in at least two of em. Something would happen at the junction block I think.

I had some wiring start smoking on me way back when, it was my fault, crappy connection I made for the stereo temporarily. All of a sudden so much smoke it got hard to see and had to hold my breath as I made my way to the side of the road almost running up the curb as I reached for and ripped wires out from under the dash before the car went up. Just about burned through a few of my fingers very deeply. Luckily I got right ones yanked out. Yikes was scary, my heart was jumping! LOL.  Embarrassed 

Yeah you may have fried the continuity out of the wire, increased resistance impeding current flow.

Oh on the flicker problem I mentioned above, I think it is actually the Instrument gauge regulator(as they call it) clicking in and out, the old wiring exacerbates the issue I think.

Good luck!

Edited by Blitzman - Jul/22/2016 at 4:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic