TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

camshafts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: camshafts
    Posted: Jul/09/2007 at 5:05am
I posted this on another forum but figured I would here as well.

This past fathers day I cleaned up the old Javelin and replaced the fuel pump, acc pumps etc.. and got it running again because I got the itch to cruise around again. Fired it up and Tongue I forgot how great it sounded and ran, when I built this engine back in the mid 80s I was limited to the cams available other than just "street" stuff. There was old pro stock stuff listed but unavailable and I wanted a flat tappet anyway so I wrote down a profile that I wanted and had Lunati grind a custom for me. It worked great and has been in it ever since, but now there are all kinds of new stuff around and was wondering what people are using and what works.  

Here are my old cam specs. I use 1.73 rockers on the intake and 1.6 on the exhaust so I gave the intake lift at valve with the 1.6 and the 1.73.

Intake                                           Exhaust
LSA                                                  110
Lift @ valve           .614/.663                                          .627
Advertised duration   302                                                312
Duration @ .050        268                                                278
lash                        .024                                               .024

The engine is a 401 30 over with custom venolia pistons @ 13.5-1 compression and a UR-18 with two 750 dominators.

Lets see what cams you all have and how do they work.

Edited by Steve_P - Jul/09/2007 at 5:22am
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2007 at 8:20am
Ask any one engine builder/racer the cam profile they use and they will give you a harsh reply. Camshafts are almost the last great secret to building a great AMC V8. I will tell you this I wont pick a camshaft untill I know what my heads flow and where they flow best for the application. Like any porting professional will tell you the cam is picked and then can be modified by the rocker ratio to meet a a intake vs exhaust ratio efficiency.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic