TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam with air

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam with air
    Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 11:29am
Car is 73 AMX 4 speed ,391 rear gear. Old motor was a 69 390, 11-7-1 TRW fordged piston ,floating wrist pins, both ends of rods lighten, blanced motor, torker manifold , 750 Holley, double spring w/ damper, competition valve job, roller rockers, Isky 300 cam( 3000-6500 rpm ) 485 lift ,adv. duration 300, .050 duration 234,  108 lobe center. Ran great until cam lobe went south during zinc change over.  Here's the problem.  Decided to rebuild the original 401. New build is ( .030 racetek 9-5 fordged 27 cc dish pistons, pressed in pins ) ,73 heads ,double spring w /damper, competition valve job, pocket ported, roller rocker, balanced motor, heads and block surfaces have been cleaned up 3 times, I'm trying to run the new motor on premium 91-93 fuel.  I was thinking of running the Isky 300 cam but not sure if have enough compression, and don't want to put half tank of 100 octane in it like my 390. Then I started to think about running aircondition, what is the max cam I can run in this setup and still run air, and still don't have to put 100 octane in it ? Should I have decked the block ? Car has 1 5/8 headers , 2-1/5 exhaust .Torker manifold,

Edited by 68-73 amx - Jan/11/2018 at 8:51am
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 11:44pm
Anybody running non stock cam with air in any motor?
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 5:13am
I don't see any reason why you would not be able to run a/c. Cam has nothing to do with ability to run a/c.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 7:52am
Sure it does. If you have too much lift and/or duration you end up with low vacuum at idle. Kick an AC compressor on and the engine may stall. The Isky 300 cam might be a bit much, but something like an Isky 270HL or 262 Supercam would be good. Anything with a "lopey" idle won't produce good idle vacuum. Isky says their 280HL and 282 cams produce a "lopey" idle and need a 2500 stall converter...
Frank Swygert
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:00am
A cam as large as 300 advertised duration is going to be a pain with an AC compressor kicking in. It is likely to stall the engine when it is cold.
The octane rating of the fuel will have zero effect one way or the other at idle.

I had an Isky 300HL in my 401 and it was difficult to keep running when cold, just bumping the steering wheel was enough to kill the engine. When warm, turning the steering wheel would noticeably drag the engine down. If a power steering pump was that annoying, I'd hate to deal with an AC compressor.

That cam just had no power until 3500 rpm. Even with 4.44 gears the car felt slow until the engine hit the power band, then you got all the power at once whether or not you wanted it.

I believe a hydraulic flat tappet that big is completely pointless, you sacrifice low torque but do not gain any high RPM torque because of a lack of valve train control that high. If you want or need to spin that high you will need to go solid flat tappet or hydraulic roller.

I now have a Comp XE262H, much better behaved down low, and it still has power at 3000-5500 RPM.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:40am
I was leaning towards the 270-280 myself. with the 300 car had adequate braking but not full power brakes, I could add an idle kick up selinoid .I'm trying to get the power of the 390 yet get the 401civil enough for family to drive with air. I'm starting to think M.P.I. might be the way to go. I agree lifter float limits the 300 cam use.I put this 390 together when I was a kid (24), and at 57 was looking to calm things down motor wise. 

Edited by 68-73 amx - Jan/11/2018 at 9:49am
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:58am
... add a relay triggered by throttle position so A/C compressor can't turn on at idle.   If you sit in traffic for long periods, may not be nice, but likely be fine if idle periods are short.

Just a thought ..
RD.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 12:00pm
Will you be running a stock York compressor, or a more modern scroll type compressor?
The old piston style compressors had far more drag than a scroll compressor. A Modern scroll compressor would probably be a non-issue even with a huge cam.

Most 280 advertised duration cams idle well enough to run most accessories when in perfect tune. I prefer to run a 270 duration cam to have a little breathing room tuning wise.

The cam I'm running now (XE262H) is slightly more aggressive than the advertised duration indicates. Its duration at .050 is more like a 270 advertised duration cam. It also has more lift than the Comp 270H.
However, I currently don't recommend getting a cam from Comp. From my own experiences, the journals are likely to be .002" oversize.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/oversized-cam-journal_topic87119_page1.html
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 12:09pm
Torque converter is of bigger concern. A cam that doesn't like low RPM combined with a low RPM stall torque converter like the original will bog it down like crazy at idle. 

It might idle fine with A/C, that idle just may be 1500 RPM....
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 1:05pm
Since you were running the big lumpy Isky 300-HL previously I anticipate you're not going to be as happy with a smooth idling cam. The 300-HL would have slightly low dynamic compression, but the killer is that it has way too much overlap.

I would look at this group of cams in order to get something that will run power brakes (and probably be happy with A/C then), yet provide as lumpy of an idle as possible:
   Isky 270-HL (possibly too mild of an idle for you)
   Engle 5056H (+6.7%)
   Comp 280H (+7.3%)
   Engle 5058H (+11%)

These are all average lobe intensity cams so they should be less prone to wiping gout a lobe than the higher lobe intensity cams. All would require 91-93 octane fuel with your build assuming the 9.5-9.7 CR. The two Engle cams are designed specifically for the 0.904 lifter, which is kind of neat. 

The % numbers I've tacked on after each cam indicate the calculated increase in intake flow area under the curve as compared to the Isky 270-HL. It should give an approximation of the power difference between the cams.

And you can also always add a high idle solenoid that comes on with the A/C. They make them specifically for Holley carbs - I used to use one to set my staging RPM back when I was bracket racing the 258 Javelin.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic