TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 8:46pm

Sounds like that's the answer,

sort the launching issue & enjoy mid/high 11's

(or as Ken said, maybe the tall first IS the launch issue )

Then a solid cam + better first gear if you need more.

Have you weighed the car?

Just curious,

turning 115 is pretty impressive with "just" a magnum cam, torker & a port match + 4.30's Cool

Edited by jpnjim - Dec/17/2014 at 8:51pm
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 8:57pm
Havent weighed the car but its all steel with a gutted interior. to answer before I run it on race gas. Not to get off topic how do all you 4 speed guys reccoment I launch the car? I have a Ram powergrip clutch right now and drag radials I am not going replace until they are used up. Shifting under power hasnt been a problem. Give some insight onstarting line technique.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 9:08pm
Clamped rear spring halfes yet?
What kind of traction baron aid do you have.
What tires, air pressure adjusted on each run?
Limiter on left front suspensition
Strip the tire and video it, make sure tire is not moving on rim.
Rims screws?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 9:10pm
Do you vary your rpm at launch. What rpm does it like
Are you speed shifting?

Video that pass, let's see it so some of us drivers can check it
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by scramboy scramboy wrote:

Havent weighed the car but its all steel with a gutted interior. to answer before I run it on race gas. Not to get off topic how do all you 4 speed guys reccoment I launch the car? I have a Ram powergrip clutch right now and drag radials I am not going replace until they are used up. Shifting under power hasnt been a problem. Give some insight onstarting line technique.

Each car is different. You will need to raise of course or lower those starting line rpm to find what that car likes on that day at that track in that weather with that time.
Fine line between bog stumbles and go and wheel spin.
U as the driver has to find it.

My suggestion, screw trying to make a full pass. Work on starting line and short time techniques, till you get them down right. Then move to the next half of the track. Shift with no clutch, at speed and with accelerator shoved through the firewall. Lol

If up where in houston, I'm free and would show you some thing.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 7:45pm

figured I'd post this here

http://schneidercams.com/292-02Famcsolid.aspx

if you like the Comp 290b cam, but the .570 lift is too much,

Schneider makes a cam with almost exactly the same specs, but with just .544" lift.

I never used a Schneider Cam, so I can't speak to their quality, I just thought it was interesting they have their own version of the 290b, using the 106 degree lobe centerline,

but with less lift.

RUMBLR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUMBLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 11:15pm
I run the same cam (Comp 292) in a 343 with an airgap and have run 11.8 @ 115mph with 1.69 60'.

I was running std rear suspension in a Javelin, 3500 converter, so leaving a little on the table.

As others have said get the 60' down and that should get you close to your goal.

I am interested in the opinions your getting for cam recommendations because i am also looking at changing out my cam for a larger solid and moving to a torker intake to pick up a few tenths.
343 904 M20 - 11.83@115
BIG_K View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 1:08am
Caltracs
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 6:47am
A lot of great advise out there! I would find out what heads you have and work on a cam that will fit the flow of your cylinder heads. All the power comes from a well balanced combo of intake,head and cam. I like eddy heads out of the box. I use Engle solid K-7 cam and Indy Intake. Holy crap what a difference it made!!!!! I get 11.40 times and 117.00 mph. This car weighs 3167. not bad for a street driven car on 93 octane pumped gas.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 8:54am

to everyone posting ETs,

what rear gears & transmissions?

It's tough to match some of those numbers with a 2.23 first 4spd, but its still a good reference. 

To the last post,

I'm surprised to hear of an Indy intake working so well in that combo,

did you match the Edelbrocks to it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic