TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam Selection
    Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 7:33pm
I know this has been beaten to death but Im looking to change the cam in my sreet/strip Spirit. Im running a 11:1 70 390 with a 292h Comp cams, torker intake with a 750 HP Holley.Slick shifted t-10 tanny, 4.30 ford 9" out back with 295 drag radials. It currently runs 12.07 @ 115 best with a 1.74 60 ft. Im looking for a cam tha twill get me deep into the 11 sec range. I would prefer a hydraulic but solid would surely be considered. I filled out the Comp reccomendation for and they suggested the 305h, My buddy suggested the 290b Comp. Im looking for some suggestions from guys who have been there and done it. Thanx, Scramboy.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 11:41pm
I can't help you, but if you get some video of that beast turning in 11s, let us know. I'd love to see that. I'm still building mine and as a fuel injected driver, I can only hope to crack the 12s one day. Good luck. I know there'll be some good suggestions coming your way.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 5:43am

I like the 290b cam, but its old school tech,

I would run far away from the 305 hydraulic.

Are you mixing race gas now with the 292&11:1cr now?

Is that a 2.23:1 first gear T-10?

What's your trap RPM and do you think your lifters are pumping up when you hit it now?

Are your heads worked over? How much lift would you/they be comfortable with?

Your 115mph trap speed says your making decent power with everything working well together, 

so I don't think a cam change alone will get you the .50-.75 you're looking for all by itself, but it sounds like that is a mid 11 second car with the right tweeks.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 10:06am
Need suspension work. The short time is not right.
Needs a 1.52 or close to that and that will be. A 11.50 to 11.60 time
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by gremlinsteve gremlinsteve wrote:

Need suspension work. The short time is not right.
Needs a 1.52 or close to that and that will be. A 11.50 to 11.60 time

X2....

The cam is not your problem.
Gremlin Dreams
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 11:18am
Got a 2.23 first gear tranny, crosses at approx 6100 rpm and the heads have port matching and Chevy valves. The car doesn't seem like its still pulling through the traps. I know I am using the cam change as a crutch for head work but I can't spare the expense right now.   Also I am working on getting that 60 ft time down.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 11:26am
One thing at a time.
Get the short time down.
Then change other stuff...
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 11:33am
There's more to a car than a "motor"
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 12:41pm
Get the 60 to 1.6 and it should do 11.70 or so, 115 mph is good.

Et comes from the first 330ft
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 3:04pm
Agree with all the above. The T10 is the problem with the 2.23 low. For race use you need a low more low gear and a clutch that slips some.

115 is decent and with a race launch will get you far into the 11's.

If you are going to change the cam also agree with the above. Go with a solid for a cam that big, and the A290 is good. I've used that in a bunch of places and with a good combo it's never failed to get far into the 10's. But it will only compound the 2.23 low T10 problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic