TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cam selection/head flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdywgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cam selection/head flow
    Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 8:07pm
if a cylinder head has balanced flow(exhaust at least 70% or more of intake flow),is a straight duration cam the one of choice? just the sake of simplicity,let's say the compression and rpm range is matched to the duration.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 7:37am
in my experience with amc from the factory they use strait duration for smooth idle but most of my motors I build they like split duration   
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 8:14am
It really isn't about duration as much as where the opening and closing events occur and duration is what it is.  Every cam grinder has their own take on it.  Mine has always done split duration cams for my AMC with exhaust 80% of intake.  But just because someone does something different doesn't mean it's wrong.  Best you can do is pick a cam grinder you trust and let them run with it.  And don't second guess them before you've tried it.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 10:50am
Most of the dyno testing that I have seen has been primarily done on the old small block Chevy which had worse exhaust to intake flow percentage than AMC. This should mean that a split duration cam should be more beneficial to the Chevy than to the AMC V8.

The dyno charts of the split duration cams usually picked up maybe 8 to 10 horsepower above maybe 4,500 to 5,000 rpm compared to straight duration cams, and lost almost that much under 3,000 rpm. Most of these tests were done on hot street combinations with headers. It seems to me that a split duration cam does the same thing as a slightly bigger straight duration cam would.....loses power on the bottom end, and gains it back on the top.
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2015 at 8:29pm
http://jonescams.com/

Lots of options, easy to talk to.

klvn8r
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 7:49pm
Cam timing events have less to do with real head performance than most think.
I strongly suspect these people posting here are aware of that.

The exhaust event is times to give the maximum scavenging that
is inclusive of opening early enough to purge all exhaust gasses and
create the important vacuum boost to the intake event.
The intake typically requires less timing to be optimum at the same desired engine speeds.

True no matter what balance you have in the ports.

Nearly half of the flow through an un supercharged engine is caused
by the pull of the exiting exhaust pulse.

This is why "tuned" headers make more power than a better flowing manifold or shorty headers.
Gremlin Dreams
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 11:17pm
So this would mean exhaust is more important then one would realize?

The exhaust could effect the torque range by drawing in more of an intake charge and packing the cylinder which might require  increasing the jetting.

In addition  this could mean there might be an advantage for running smaller primary pipes to create more velocity depending upon the application.

Adding equal length pipes with the correct rotational firing order combined with the correct scavenger collectors could  enhance the motors performance while maintaining the same power range of the cam....

I wonder what the potential HP would be?

Mickey Thompson achieved a 10 percent HP gain over the competitors by using his Scavenger Headers for project Javelin

This raises the Question is a dual pattern cam a bandage to cover up for a poor exhaust combination?

Is it more important what the head flows at the port on a flow bench or what happens after the port on a running engine????

Very interestingGeek

JTSLLC1
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 6:57am
I agree with JTSLLC1. Now that the secret is out of the bag. AMC for years have had a better flow out of the exhaust than most sbc ever had. The headers have a direct connection to scavageing than most people realize. It all depends on cam events and intake charge velocity. I stick with what runs best and not try to jump all over the place with what other people run. Your combo may not work well in another engine almost identical. There is always a little difference in any engine combo.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 10:23am
It has never been a secret, the effect was known since
the 20's. Really taking advantage of the effect took till
the post WWII hotrodders entered the game.
Gremlin Dreams
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 12:15pm
Pontiac engines all used cams with longer EX. duration to help the poor flowing ex. ports. The 340 Mopar had 8 Deg. more ex. duration with more lift for the same reason.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic