TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam/Dist. Gear Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam/Dist. Gear Question
    Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 4:56pm
I`ve read multiple times that the dist./cam gears should be a matched set if they are reused..once you have the distributor out unless you place it back on the same exact tooth(Since it`s 1 to 1) what`s the difference what gear is used...they are no longer mated (Homed) to each other...I agree that there are different grades of material being used to make the gears but either you put it back in the same spot or the statement does`t hold any truth....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 5:04pm
No, I had used a used from a wrecker, distributor drive gear for over 25K without an issue. What they mean more or less is matched by hardness and metal qualities and the pitch on the teeth. There are 3 different types available and they all don't match between them.

As for OEM parts, used from various year same engine family will work, as long as wear is not bad, and proper clearance with the distributor being seated.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 5:04pm
The distributor gear is pined to the shaft and the cam gear is keyed to the cam. So it should go back in the same spot every time unless the gear has been taken off the dizzy and put back on 180 out

Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 5:11pm
I dont see how he cam gear will stay in sync with the distributor drive gear, as the cam gear is 2 x the diameter of the drive gear. so in operation, the gears are 0 degrees clocked on 1/2 cycle and 180 degrees off on the other half cycle.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 5:45pm
If you turn the Dist. so that #1 is in a different spot the teeth will be different.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by amc67rogue amc67rogue wrote:

If you turn the Dist. so that #1 is in a different spot the teeth will be different.

like xfactor stated... the cam gear is locked to its clocking by keyway, the distributor drive is clocked by the roll pin, and will be 180 degrees out of phase 1/2 cycle and in phase on the other 1/2 cycle. So nobody is correct to start 1 to 1 on the teeth, as it is only that way for half of the distributor rotation. you can start 180 degrees out of phase and be correct as it will be 1 to 1 eventually.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 6:38pm
You can easily take a distributor out and replace it 1 tooth one way and 1  the other way reset the timing ...but the the 2 gears will be riding on a different set of teeth..point is unless you can mark the teeth see through the cover and reinstall the same 2 corresponding teeth them you can use any 2 gears..I`m of coarse talking about gears with normal wear...I have a set with over 250,000 miles on them that look great (out lasted 3 timing chains) but yet some fail in several thousand miles...i still think it`s an oiling problem....every set i have had in my own hands that were failed or severely worn the timing cain didn’t line up with the cam hole.....and it is pretty cool how AMC made 2 gears of different sizes spin at the same speed with tooth spacing....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 6:49pm
wait a minute... crank rotates 2x to rotate the cam once. Cam rotates once to rotate distributor 2 times. Basically with cam and distributor rotating together 1 to 1, cannot be done with a two gear arangement of varied size differences. But mainly you don't want it to be that way. you want the distributor to be 1 to 1 with the crank. So that is why 1/2 of every cam cycle will be 180 degrees out of phase from tooth 1 and tooth 1.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 6:54pm
Your cam and dist spin at the same speed...
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 7:22pm
I agree that cam failure is almost entirely due to oiling issues. I have personally used two used gears and had no issues at all. I think it would be different if they were grossly mismatched as to their state of wear, but otherwise should be ok. 

My understanding is that two used gears will, in a general sense, wear to a state approximating the more worn of the two surfaces. Again, this assumes that there is not a gross mismatch in their condition. Kind of like photocopies of photocopies, if you change it enough times with other used gears, likely it will fail, but once or twice it should be fine. Obviously, this is simplified, but you get the idea. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic